Please note that you will also want to check out various other webpages on this website such as                    "Rent & Mortgage Assistance", "Utility Assistance", "Food Resources", etc.
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a federally-assisted meal program operating
in public and non-profit private schools and residential child-care institutions.  It provides
nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to eligible children each school day.

The School Breakfast Program (SBP) is a federally-assisted meal program operating in public
and non-profit private schools and residential child-care institutions.  It provides nutritionally
balanced, low-cost or free breakfasts to eligible children each school day.

Contact your child's school to see if you qualify and to obtain the necessary paperwork OR
go to


Find on the website below your district office and call your district office for an intake appointment
and documentation requirements on Mondays thru Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  Financial assistance, food stamps, medical assistance, home energy assistance.  (if you arrive at the DHS office before
11 a.m., you are guaranteed to be seen that NOT go on Wednesdays!)

You can now apply online and save a trip to the office!

In addition to financial assistance, you may be eligible for the Food Assistance Program which supplements the food purchasing power of low-income individuals and families.
D.H.S. determines eligibility for food assistance.

NOTE:  A NEW program in 10 Michigan counties (the only county in this area is WAYNE) helps
people age 60 or older get a Bridge Card to help pay for groceries!  This new program called
MiCAFE is offered by Elder Law of Michigan and local senior and community centers. MiCAFE
stands for the Michigan Coordinated Access to Food for the Elderly. Please call 877-664-2233
or go to

Generally, eligibility for food assistance depends on the financial situation of ALL members
of the household group.  All persons who live together and purchase & prepare food together
are considered to be members of the same food assistance group.


The State Emergency Relief (SER) Program provides immediate help to individuals and families
facing conditions of extreme hardship or for emergencies that threaten health and safety. 
Through a combination of direct financial assistance and contracts with a network of non-profit organizations such as the Salvation Army and local Community Action Organizations, SER helps
low-income households meet emergency needs such as:
Heat & Utilities
Home Repairs      (Furnace repair & replacement up to $4,000)
Relocation Assistance
Home Ownership Services  (house payments, property taxes)

The SER program is primarily designed to maintain low-income households who are normally
able to meet their needs but occasionally need help when unexpected emergency situations
arise. The SER program is not an appropriate solution to ongoing or chronic financial difficulties. 

Only local D.H.S. experts should make eligibility determinations for this program due to many
variables. Ask for details when turning in a completed application.

Wayne County Health Department--WIC PROGRAM

WIC is the abbreviation for the Women, Infants, and Children Special Supplemental Nutrition Program.
This is a federally-funded program that serves low and moderate income pregnant, breastfeeding,
and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age 5 who have a nutrition-related health problem.
WIC offers coupons for nutritious foods purchased at supermarkets. Other free benefits include health screening, nutrition information, social service referrals and breast-feed support services.  Applicants must meet income guidelines and be determined to have a nutritional and/or health risk to qualify for
WIC.  Contact your local health department listed above for assistance.


Want to find a local babysitting co-op OR start your own?  Go to and click on "Create
a Co-op".  This site also lists any co-ops already in your area!

Depending on your income, you may be eligible for assistance or scholarships.  Inquire at area day-
care centers and also go to and click on "Paying for Child Care" to find out about
state aid.

If your family income is at or below levels established by the Michigan Department of Education, you
may be eligible for help with child care costs.  For example, a family of three with an income of less
than $23,880 may qualify for partial payment of child care costs.  Contact any local Department of Human Services office or your Great Start Regional Child Care Resource Center for assistance in
the application process.  For more details about the child development and care program, visit 

To find a licensed or registered child care provider in your area, visit

Child Care Network                                            Blog:
(A member of the Michigan Community Coordinated Child Care (4C) Association)
Administrative Office:
2385 S. Huron Parkway  Suite 1N
Ann Arbor MI  48104
Phone:  734-975-1840  OR  800-777-2861
1040 S. Winter Street   Suite 2020
Adrian MI  49221
Phone:  517-264-5306
777 Roessler
Monroe MI 48162
Phone:  734-243-7451 OR 7443
University of Michigan
2072 Administrative Services Bldg.
1009 Greene Street
Ann Arbor MI  48109
Phone:  734-936-8677
Financial assistance in the form of child care scholarships for income-eligible families in Monroe & Washtenaw counties.  Emergency child care scholarships for eligible homeless families, short-term emergency scholarships available in Lenawee, Monroe & Washtenaw counties.  Assistance in accessing state Dept. of Human Services programs, referrals to appropriate local human services agencies & programs of identified family needs and expulsion prevention assistance for parents and child-care providers in the community.  Has a free database listing for providers in a five county area.


Michigan Department of Community Health        Family Support Subsidy Program
Phone: 517-335-9480

Insurance Assistance Program  (IAP) IAP-PLUS
Phone:  313-456-1677
Affiliated with HIV/AIDS Advocacy Services, the IAP pays health insurance premiums for PLWHA
(People Living with HIV & AIDS) who have private health insurance and are currently too ill to work
in their current job or there is a substantial likelihood that he or she will be too ill to work within
the next three months.  IAP-Plus pays premiums for PLWHA who have private health insurance
with prescription coverage. 


If you are looking for help with special medical problems for your child or adolescent,
please ALSO check under "Special Programs" under the "Children & Adolescent Medical
& Wellness Resources" webpage!

The National Association of Atomic Veterans           
Phone:  1-800-729-7327
This group is searching for about 195,000 vets who were exposed to radiation from atmospheric
nuclear tests between 1945 and 1962 OR as part of the occupation forces at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. These men and women could receive a one-time $75,000 benefit from the U.S. government under the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act of 1990 or a monthly disability payment of up to $2,673 from
the Dept. of Veteran Affairs if they contracted any of 21 different cancers traced to radiation exposure. 
Few veterans have applied for these benefits.  Their widows and children are eligible too, if their family member died before receiving a benefit.  Applicants need medical records and location of exposure. 
Once the application is filed, government lawyers ask the Defense Threat Reduction Agency for help
in verifying the claim. 

Michigan Military Family Relief Fund    
Dept. of Military & Veteran Affairs
P.O. Box 30261
Lansing  MI  48909
The M.F.R. Fund provides financial assistance to families of soldiers suffering financial hardships
as a result of active-duty or a line-of-duty related injury or illness.  The M.F.R.F. enables the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs to provide grants of up to $2,000 in a calendar year
to qualifying military families of Michigan's active-duty Army National Guard, Air National Guard
and military reserve members. The funds can be spent on clothing, housing, medical, services,
utilities, or any other related necessities of daily living.  The need would have to occur while a family member is on active duty, or be the result of a line-of-duty related injury or illness.  Download
an application from the site. 

Federal Employee Education & Assistance Fund    
3333 S. Wadsworth Blvd., Suite #300
Lakewood CO  80227
Phone:  303-938-7580
A private, not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation which provides educational benefits
and emergency assistance exclusively to all civilian federal and postal employees and their
dependent family members.  FEEA receives no government funds. 

City of Southfield Emergency Assistance & General Problems       
Phone: 248-796-4546
Southfield residents experiencing particular types of financial need may be helped through the
Southfield Human Services Department. An outreach caseworker can provide direct assistance
or make a referral to an appropriate agency where other assistance may be received. Human
Services caseworkers also make visits to residents who are homebound and/or experiencing
special difficulties. The caseworkers can assist these residents in finding available resources
for solving personal and practical problems.

The Kevin Deegen Open Heart Foundation        
P.O. Box 1353
Birmingham  MI  48012
This organization raises funds for the foundation which aims to provide custom-made bicycles
for special-needs individuals so that they can have independence.

USA Cares                
P.O. Box 759
Radcliff  KY  40159
Phone: 800-773-0387
The mission of USA Cares is to help service members and their families around the globe by helping
with emergency expenses.  Since its founding in 2003, the organization has assisted more than 3,010 families and resourced more than $1.2 million in grants for emergency needs like clothing, travel, food, auto repair, and other expenses.  Service members and their families can make a request for funds through the organization's website.

Modest Needs                    
115 E. 30th Street   Fl. 1
New York City , NY  10016
At Modest Needs, compassionate persons whose lives have been touched by kindness pass that
kindness on by pooling just a bit of what they can afford to share and using those funds to keep struggling families from entering the cycle of poverty. Nothing is asked in return.  Modest Needs
assists working families, many earning too much to qualify for government assistance, but not
enough to shield them from financial struggles. The goal is to keep people from slipping into
poverty.The maximum grant is $1000.  Since 2002, more than 10,000 individuals and families
have been helped.

Friends In Deed
1196 Ecorse Road
Ypsilanti MI 48198
Phone: 734-484-HELP (4357)
Faith-based organization which provides for needs not being met by other agencies and provides screening, information, and referral services to local congregations and people in need.  FID is
staffed primarily by volunteers and works in cooperation with human service agencies.

Central Detroit Christian Community Development Corp.
8840 Second Ave.
Detroit MI  48202
Phone:  313-873-0064
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 44706
Detroit MI  48244
Website:  www.
Provides emergency relief to residents of Central Detroit.

Sabrina Black Foundation
Created by Steve Black of WRIF-FM
P.O. Box 282
Clawson MI  48017
Email:   Steve Black
Helps with financial resources for those with cancer.

St. Michael's WE CARE
PO Box 2853
Monroe MI  48161
Phone: 734-289-3428
Pays for medical expenses for non-covered life-threatening be used
as a last resort after insurance, fund-raisers, etc. for Monroe County residents.

Trinity Lutheran Church        
323 Scott Street
Monroe MI  48161
Phone: 734-242-2308
The Lucille B. Deinzer Trust may be used for medical, dental, food or clothing. 
Eligibility requirements: 
Must be a resident of Monroe County for 365 days; have income not exceeding
150% of federal poverty guidelines; limited to $10,000 a year for one individual
or each family.

Faith in Action
603 S. Main
Chelsea MI
Phone: 734-475-3305
Financial assistance to those in the Chelsea and Dexter school districts only.

Sparrow Clubs USA
906  N.E. Greenwood  Suite 2
Bend OR  97701
Phone:  541-312-8630
A non-profit organization that provides financial and emotional support for critically ill children--"Sparrows"-- and their families, but with a twist.  They challenge students to "adopt" each sparrow
and help meet the families needs.  Individuals and corporate sponsors convert their community
service time into money through a voucher system.  Open to children 17 and under.

Charles A. Main M.D. Pediatric Cancer Survivors Foundation of Beaumont Hospitals
Attention:  Beaumont Hematology and Oncology Dept's.
3577 W. 13 Mile Road
Royal Oak MI  48073
Phone:  248-551-0367
College scholarships for children treated at Beaumont Hospitals for cancer.

Michigan Parkinson Foundation
30400 Telegraph Road  Suite 150
Bingham Farms MI  48025
Phone: 248-433-1011 OR  800-852-9781
Can assist Michigan residents  with Parkinson's disease who meet financial criteria obtain
some relief for medication costs (may receive up to $250 per year in medications), financial
assistance of up to $360 per year at a day care program at a center of your choice (designed
to provide family members with respite), support groups, educational programs.

National Kidney Foundation of Michigan
Phone: 800-482-1455
1169 Oak Valley Drive
Ann Arbor, MI  48108
Phone: 734-222-9800
1900 E. Jefferson  Suite #222
Detroit MI  48207
Phone: 313-259-1514
411 E. 3rd. Street   #2
Flint MI  48503
Phone: 810-232-0522  OR   810-232-0533
Offers a $100 payment payable to a VENDOR for services rendered to a kidney patient
and has a drug bank (do not apply unless all other resources have been exhausted).

American Kidney Foundation
6110 Executive Blvd.  #1010
Rockville MD  20852
Phone: 800-638-8299
Offers a patient aid program, individual grants, travel help to treatments, disaster relief,
pharmacy help.

Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
6735 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills MI  48301
Phone: 888-902-4673
Emergency assistance for food, shelter and medical care.

Crossroads of Michigan--Main Office
Administrative Office:
2424 W. Grand Blvd.
Detroit MI  48208
Phone:  313-831-0213  OR  313-831-2787
Crossroads of Michigan--East Office
14641 E. Jefferson Ave.
Detroit MI  48201
Phone: 313-822-5200 OR  313-822-3930
Emergency financial assistance and one-time prescription assistance.

The Denby Center  (Social Service Office)
20775 Pembroke
Detroit MI
Phone: 313-537-2130
Provides multiple programs to assist people in meeting the basic necessities of life:  food,
warmth and housing.  Services these zip codes: 48223, 48239 and 48235. 

AARP Benefits QuickLINK
Find free assistance for yourself, your kids and grandchildren at the this website that will
connect you to other useful websites and enables you to download public benefit applications
for everything from energy assistance, Medicaid and Medicare to children's health insurance
and food assistance.

2651 Saulino Court
Dearborn MI  48120
Phone:  313-842-7010
Rent/mortgage assistance & tax assistance, utility shut-off, THAW, and MI CAFE programs,
emergency food assistance.

AIDS Partnership Michigan
2751 E. Jefferson, Suite 301
Detroit MI  48207
Phone:  313-446-9800  OR   800-649-3777 (Relay)
Provides professional case management and other support services, housing assistance
and placement, transportation, emergency financial assistance, food, clothing, shelter, child
care, legal resources, prescriptions, medical care, home health care, medical equipment, and
many other services.

Michigan Multiple Sclerosis Society
21311 Civic Center Drive
Southfield MI  48076-3911
Phone:  248-350-0020
Chapter MEMBERS can access transportation to medical appointments only, respite care,
short-term  counseling, medical equipment, home & auto modifications, window air-conditioners, emergency supplies.  Based on financial need and sliding scale.  See national listing below!

Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit
6555 W. Maple
West Bloomfield  MI  48322
Phone:  248-592-2300
25900 Greenfield  #405
Oak Park MI  48237
Phone: 248-592-2300
Crisis assistance for housing, utilities, basic needs and developing self-sufficiency plans.
No interest college loans (248-559-5000) and Child Day Care Scholarships (248-661-1000)

Rochester Area Neighborhood House, Inc.
1234 Inglewood                            
Rochester MI  48307                                                                                                                         
Phone:  248-651-5836
Provides services to Oakland County residents who live in Rochester Hills, Oakland Twp.,
Leonard and Auburn Hills.  Assists individuals and families with financial concerns such
as preventing evictions, keeping utilities operational, assistance for medical emergencies, etc.

The Pink Fund
22122 Metamora
Beverly Hills MI 48025
Phone:  877-234-PINK (7465)
Provides financial aid to women and men with breast cancer.

H.E.L.P. (Health Emergency Lifeline Program)
1726 Howard Ave.
Detroit MI  48216
Phone:  313-832-3300 OR  888-435-5655

The Eli Florence Foundation Fund
Phone:  810-767-8270  Community Foundation of Greater Flint Director of Donor Services
The Eli Foundation
PO Box 931
Fenton MI  48430
Both Funds are set up to help terminally ill children in the Fenton MI area only.

STAT Patient's Family Services
Pope John Hospitality House
Contact:  Most Holy Trinity Church
Phone:  313-965-4450
Provides transportation, lodging, clothing, burial assistance to families whose children
have cancer. 

The Bear Necessities Pediatric Cancer Foundation
55 W. Wacker Drive  Suite 1100
Chicago IL  60601
Phone:  312-214-1200
A national organization founded in 1992 and expanding into Michigan, with a mission
to eliminate cancer in children and to provide help and support to those affected by
cancer.  Physical, psychological and financial help is offered.

The Larry King Cardiac Foundation
15720 Crabbs Branch Way   Suite D
Rockville MD  20855
Phone: 866-302-LKCF (5523)
Established in 1988 to provide funding for life-saving cardiac treatment for individuals who, due
to limited means or no insurance, would otherwise be unable to receive the treatment and care
they desperately need. The Foundation works in conjunction with hospitals throughout the nation
to ensure that such patients receive proper medical attention.  Doctors perform these surgeries
at no charge and hospitals are compensated only for the materials used.  The closest hospital
to Michigan that participates is the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland OH. Be sure to see the
"Emergency Travel Resources" webpage for transportation options to get to this clinic!

Yatoomas Foundation For The Kids
1900 S. Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills  MI  48302
Phone:  888-987-KIDS (5437)
Non-Profit dedicated to providing guidance, stability, and financial assistance to families with children
who have suddenly lost one or both parents.  Some of the services offered are financial assistance
& budgeting assistance, household maintenance & repair, car maintenance & repair, support groups
& grief assistance, scholarships & tutorial services, vocational training & job placement, legal & accounting assistance. 

Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan
1921 W. Michigan Ave.
Ypsilanti  MI  48197
Phone:  734-544-0015  OR  800-482-3041
Emergency financial aid programs for those affected by hemophilia, von Willebrand, other coagulation disorders, hepatitis, HIV and/or AIDS.  Assistance includes help with food, utilities, rent & car repairs whose bleeding disorder impacts their income.  Call 800-482-3041 to apply.  Must not have received
aid from this program for the past 12 months. 

Patient Advocate Foundation's Co-Pay Relief Program
421 Butler Farm Road
Hampton VA  23666
Phone:  866-512-3861
The Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF) Co-Pay Relief Program (CPR) currently provides direct financial support for pharmaceutical co-payments to insured patients, including Medicare Part D beneficiaries,
who financially and medically qualify.  The Co-Pay Relief Program provides financial assistance to eligible patients who are being treated for breast, lung, colon, kidney, prostate, pancreatic, and head/neck cancers, malignant brain tumor, lymphoma, diabetes, multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndrome
(and other pre-leukemia diseases), osteoporosis, Hepatitis C, rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoma, selected autoimmune disorders, chronic pain, chemo-induced anemia and chemo-induced neutropenia. 
Patient Advocate Foundation
421 Butler Farm Road
Hampton VA  23666
Phone: 300-532-5274
Patient Advocate Foundation is a national non-profit organization that seeks to safeguard patients
through effective mediation assuring access to care, maintenance of employment and preservation
of their financial stability. 
Patient Advocate Foundation MedCare Line
Colorectal Care Line (CCL)
421 Butler Farm Road
Hampton VA  23666
Phone:  866-657-8634
PAF's Colorectal Care Line (CCL) is a division of its MedCare Line which is staffed by a team
of nurses and professional case managers who provide individualized clinical case management
services at no charge to patients in need.  CCL assists patients who have been diagnosed with
colorectal cancer and are seeking treatment education and access to care by helping patients
interpret insurance policies, launch successful appeals for treatment denials, assist with accessing available state, local and national resources, providing educational resources and researching clinical trials.  There is also a Colorectal CareLine Financial Assistance Fund.  This fund will provide one-time grants in the amount of $400.00 to eligible Colorectal patients who need support with the cost of gas, parking, tolls and/or public transportation associated with their treatment. 

Shiela S. Crowe Memorial Fund for Multiple Myeloma Co-Pay Relief
700 Thimble Shoals Blvd.  Suite 200
Newport News, VA  23606
Phone:  866-512-3861
Financial assistance for co-pays available to Multiple Myeloma patients who are insured
and qualify for both medical and financial resources.

Children's Leukemia Foundation of Michigan
5455 Corporate Drive   #306
Troy MI  48098
Phone:  248-530-3000  OR  800-825-2536
$1,000 per fiscal year financial assistance for leukemia treatment costs, prescription costs,
travel to treatment costs and wigs and head coverings. Serves Adults and Children! 
Serves those with leukemia, lymphoma, and related blood disorders.
Special Needs Fund
Up to $500 (separate from the above fund) to cover expenses such as lodging, rent/mortgage,
auto repair and child care. 

MI Choice Waiver Program
MI Choice is a home and community-based program.  Eligible adults must meet financial requirements
and are approved medically-appropriate for nursing home care to be a MI Choice participant.  This program allows the individual to access services in the community along with receiving support in
their own home or other residential setting.  Each participant can obtain basic Medicaid-covered
services and must receive one or more MI Choice Waiver Services.  The program includes pre-screening, assessments, case management, direct purchase of services and re-assessment contacts.

MI Choice Waiver is a state-wide program funded by the Michigan Department of Community
Health (MDCH). The Senior Alliance--Area Agency on Aging 1-C  ( is a MI Choice
Waiver agent for the 34 communities of western and southern Wayne County. 
Also The Information Center at 734-282-7171.

Eligibility Requirements:

1.  Frail adults 65 years of age or older.
2.  Persons who are physically-disabled age 18 or older.


Medical status must meet the Michigan Medicaid nursing facility level of care determination criteria.


The income limit is 300% of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) allotment set by the federal
government each year.  Persons currently receiving SSI benefits OR Medicaid services meet
the program financial criteria if:

Participants individual income up to $1,869 per month for 2007.  If the client has a spouse,
the spouse's income is not computed in the qualifying amount.

Allowable assets for an individual client are limited to $2,000.  If the client has a spouse living
in the   community, the Federal Protected Spousal Asset guidelines are utilized.  Currently the
Protected   Spousal Asset is one-half of the couple's countable assets--no less than $19,920
and not to exceed  $99,600.

Service Need:

In addition to the other requirements, participants must need at least one MI Choice Waiver service
on an ongoing basis.  These services include:
Adult Day Services, Chore Services, Counseling, Environmental Modifications, Home-delivered Meals, Homemaker Services, Independent Living Skills Training, In-home Respite Care, Medical Equipment
and Supplies, Out-of-Home Respite Care, Personal Care Waiver, Personal Emergency Response System, Transportation.

How to Apply:
Call the Senior Alliance at 734-722-2830 and ask to speak to an INTAKE WORKER for the MI Choice
Waiver Program. OR call The Information Center at 734-282-7070 and ask for their INTAKE WORKER.
The Information Center
20500 Eureka #110
Taylor MI  48180
Phone:  734-282-7171
NOTE:  This agency has a "SPECIAL NEEDS FUND" that helps with a variety of chores and home
repairs (depending on funding for individual cities)

Children's Special Health Care Services  (CSHCS)      
Medical Services Administration
CSHCS Plan Division
PO Box 30479
Lansing MI  48909-7979
Phone:  800-359-3722
CSHCS is a program for children and some adults with special health care needs and their families. Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be 21 and over with cystic fibrosis or certain
blood clotting disorders also may qualify for services.  CSHCS covers more than 2,000 diagnoses. 
They work with you for paying specialty medical bills, coordinating services from multiple providers, learning about specialty providers like doctors, hospitals and clinics, coordinating health insurance benefits, and covering co-pays or deductibles. 

State Disability Assistance
A needy person who is disabled and who does not have dependent children may be eligible for this
cash assistance program.  In addition, you must be unable to work for at least 90 days, as certified
by an DHS Medical Social Work consultant OR receiving SSI, Social Security or Medicaid based on
a disability or blindness, OR receiving special education services OR receiving services from the Michigan Rehabilitation Service OR diagnosed as having AIDS OR living in an adult foster care home,
a home for the aged, a county infirmary, or a substance abuse treatment center OR receiving substance abuse services for 30 days after leaving a residential treatment center OR  taking care of a disabled person who lives with you.   Contact your local Department of Human Services agency to apply.

The Veteran's Aid & Attendance Pension             
(Tax-Free Benefit Open to Veterans or their Surviving Spouse!)
The American Association for Wartime Veterans (AAWV) is committed to helping wartime veterans
and their surviving spouses to help pay for health care or nursing home care.  The cost of community living can be out of reach for some of those who would benefit from receiving an additional pension payment that would offset much of the cost of their stay.  The AAWV conducts FREE informational seminars that educate families regarding this little known benefit.  The seminars are less than one
hour and weekly seminars are held in Novi and Clinton Township.  Contact them at 800-850-4432
for seminar reservations.  (Please note that many formerly classified "police actions" such a Vietnam,
have now been RE-classified as wars.....more information can be found about this at


New Online Services will be available with a My Social Security account at   Individuals are able to have immediate access to a personalized Social Security Earnings Statement
that was previously mailed out yearly. They may also get their benefit verification letter instantly and
check their benefits and payment information and earnings record.  They no longer need a password
to change their address, phone number or direct deposit once they created an online My Social Security account.

Social Security SURVIVORS Benefits
Phone:  800-772-1213 OR  TTY 800-325-0778
Social Security Survivors Benefits can be paid to:  a widow/widower--full benefits at full retirement
age or reduced benefits as early as age 60/ a disabled widow or widower as early as age 50/ a widow
or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under 16 or disabled/and receiving S.S. benefits/ unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school
full-time....under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren or adopted children/ children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled/dependent parents
age 62 or older.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
See contact information above!
SSI provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing and shelter.  If you receive these benefits,
you automatically are eligible to receive Medicaid and may also be eligible for the Bridge Card (food stamps).  If you are a U.S.citizen or a legal resident, have limited income and assets and if you are
65 or older, disabled, blind or have low-vision, you may get SSI benefits depending on what you own
and how much income you have.  Generally a person is eligible if their liquid assets are less than
$2,000 or $3,000 or less for a couple. 

Social Security Administrations PROJECT HOPE
Wayne Metro Community Action Agency
2121 Biddle Ave.
Wyandotte MI  48192
Phone:  734-284-6999
Wayne Metro's PROJECT HOPE (Homeless Outreach Program Evaluation) grant is one of only
thirty-four demonstration projects in the nation to be funded by the Social Security Administration. 
The program is designed to assist chronically homeless individuals gain access to Social Security
benefits and may expedite the SSA process for those eligible for Project HOPE services.  A Project
HOPE case manager works with multiple agencies to provide outreach, supportive services, transportation, shelter and housing to Project HOPE participants.

Veteran's Benefits
Most veterans have no idea that they may be entitled to one of FOUR types of pensions depending
on their income status and various other factors.   These pensions are available to veterans of ANY
age, their widows or widowers & dependent children.  Please go to the VA website and check under "Compensation and Benefits". There are other benefits available as well!  It doesn't matter
how long ago you served!  You will need your DD214 (discharge papers) and if you no longer have
yours, a copy can be ordered at the above website for free as well.

Hill-Burton Free Medical Care Program
Health Resources and Services Administration
Dept. of Health & Human Services
Division of Facilities Compliance and Recovery
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10C-16
Rockville, MD  20857
Phone: 800-638-0742
All hospitals that accept federal grant money, MUST provide a certain amount of FREE medical
care to those who cannot afford it.  If you feel you may qualify, please ask to speak to the hospital
Social Worker.

Give Back A Smile (GBAS) Program
402 W.Wilson Street
Madison WI  53703
Phone:  800-543-9220
A program of the National Humanitarian Project of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
(AACD) and the AACO Charitable Foundation for domestic & sexual abuse victims.  Injuries to
the front teeth and or supportive structures of the front teeth can receive complete construction
& cosmetic & reconstructive dental care.

310 S. Henry
Alexandria VA  22314
Phone:  703-299-9291
Project of Educational Research Foundation for the Association of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive
Surgery (AAFRS).  Provides facial, neck & head reconstruction & plastic surgery to repair injuries
caused by domestic or sexual abuse.

Skin Care Outreach (SCORES)
Phone: 888-892-6702
Empowers survivors of domestic or sexual abuse. Volunteers from American Society for Dermatological Surgery  (ASDA) to repair skin injuries (scars, burns, tattoos) on the body by an intimate partner or spouse.

American Liver Foundation Transplant Fund
75 Maiden Lane   #603
New York, NY  10038
Phone:  212-668-1000
Assists with raising & managing transplant funds.

National Foundation For Transplants
5350 Poplar Ave.  #430
Memphis  TN  38119
Phone:  800-489-3863 OR   901-684-1697
Financial assistance, advocacy & support for transplant patients.

The National Living Donor Assistance Center (NLDAC)
2461 S. Clark Street   Suite 640
Arlington VA  22202
Phone: 703-414-1600
If you know someone who is considering becoming a living organ donor (kidney, lung, liver) the
National Living Donor Assistance Center may be able to pay for up to $6,000 of the living donor's
(and his or her companion's) travel and lodging expenses.  Donor and recipient of the organ must
be U.S. citizens or lawfully admitted residents of the U.S. 

Rainbow Connection
621 W. University
Rochester MI  48307
Phone:  248-601-9474
A Michigan non-profit that has a Special Response Program that provides items such as cell phones
or gas money to the families of children (who are suffering from life-threatening or terminal illnesses)
or building ramps for them.  See this organization under "Special Wish" programs on this site as well!

275 Seventh Avenue    Floor 22
New York City, NY  10001
Phone:  800-813-HOPE (4673)
A national organization that provides free support services--financial assistance, counseling,
educational programs, and help for caregivers--to anyone affected by cancer.

National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
Parklawn Building   Room 11C-26
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville Maryland   20857
Phone:  800-338-2382
In the rare event that you or your child has a serious reaction to a vaccine, a federal program
has been created to help pay for the care of those who have been harmed.
NVIC has been advocating for safe vaccines and monitor VAERS and lobby for safety in vaccines. 
These are highly educated people with personal experience and continue to work for freedom to
those that decline vaccination as well as continuing their work to monitor FDA and new vaccines developed.

Association for Retinopathy of Prematurity and Related Diseases
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak MI
Children's Low Vision Resource Center
Phone:  800-788-2020
Provides free housing and education for families to address development and educational issues
of visually impaired children.  ROPARD funds the program.

Kidney & Urology Fund of America
152 Madison Ave.  #201
New York City  NY  10016
Phone:  212-629-9770 OR  800-633-6628
Financial assistance to end-stage renal disease patients limited to $100 per patient per year
for emergency situations such as broken glasses for example.  Patients must have their Social
Worker contact the fund.   (for Diabetics)
2250 Alyssum Ave.
Upland  CA  91784-7384
Collects and distributes free insulin pumps to people in need.  Also provides financial assistance
and supplies and quilts to children newly diagnosed with diabetes.

The Julie Love Assistance Program for Diabetics, Inc.
25521 Karen Street
Oak Park MI  48237
Phone:  800-948-4940
Their primary focus is within the state of Michigan, but their programs reach individuals
nationwide who cannot afford diabetic medical supplies and are not eligible for private
insurance, Medicaid or assistance within their home state.

Really Living Corp.                          
P.O. Box 760504
Southfield MI  48076
Phone: 248-996-9040
Helping people live their best lives who have terminal and/or debilitating illnesses and
are uninsured or underinsured.  Helps with prescription co-pays, food, bills, transportation, etc.

Marc Howard Needy Patient Fund
Van Elslander Cancer Center/St. John Hospital
Helps with childcare & transportation costs, clothing, etc. for St. John Hospital cancer patients.

The Healthwell Foundation
PO Box 4133
Gaithersburg, MD  20878
Phone:  800-675-8416
Helps with out-of-pocket expenses--see website for further details.

Patient Access Network Foundation  (PANF)
P.O. Box 221858
Charlotte  NC  28222
Phone: 866-316-PANF  (7263)
Helps with out-of-pocket expenses for people with any of 20 types of diseases.

Patient Services Incorporated
Phone: 800-366-7741
Helps with premiums and co-pay assistance for chronic illnesses.  Also prescription assistance.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Phone:  1-800-955-4572
Grants up to $500 per year for some uncovered expenses including prescriptions, certain medical
tests  and transporation costs.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Co-Pay Assistance Program
Phone: 877-557-2672
This program helps patients meet their health insurance or Medicare Plan B or D premiums
or copayment obligations.  Offers assistance for the following conditions: Acute Myelogenous
Leukemia, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, and Myelodysplastic

American Cancer Society
Phone:  800-ACS-2345
Available for all cancer diagnoses.  Access to referrals for financial assistance.   Some local
offices may provide transportation assistance, temporary housing, wigs or prescription assistance.

Lymphoma Research Foundation
115 Broadway  #1301
New York City  NY  10008
Phone:  800-500-9976
Limited financial assistance for unpaid medical expenses decided on a case-by-case basis.  Reimbursement is made to the provider and is based on availability of funds.

National Brain Tumor Society
124 Watertown  #2D
Watertown MA  02412
Phone: 617-924-9991  OR 800-770-8287
For patients of all ages with Primary or Metastatic Brain Tumors.  Limited financial assistance
for transportation, co-pay assistance, home care, child care and home adaptation.

American Brain Tumor Association
2720 River Road
Des Plaines IL  60018
Phone: 800-770-8287
This program provides supplementary financial assistance to individuals experiencing financial
need. This program covers specific nonmedical costs related to a primary diagnoses.  Direct
medical expenses are not covered.

Sarcoma Alliance
775 Blithedale  #334
Mill Valley  CA  94941
Phone:  415-381-7236
All sarcoma diagnoses.  Grants up to $1000 to reimburse medical and other expenses directly
related to getting a second opinion from a sarcoma specialist.  Application available online.

National Bone Marrow Donor Program
3001 Broadway Street  #100
Minneapolis  MN  55413-1753
Phone:  888-999-6743
For patients in need of a life-saving bone marrow or cord blood cell transplant through the
National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP).  Funds available for unrelated donor search through
the NMDP as well as out-of-pocket expenses following an unrelated donor or cord blood transplant through the NMDP such as: lodging, food, transportation, co-pays and insurance premiums.

My Firends Care Cancer Fund         
148 Main Street  #101
Mount Clemens  MI  48043
Phone:  586-783-7390 OR 586-783-7404
Pays medical bills from accounts you set up with the group.  The help is free and donations
are tax-deductible.

The Pediatric Rehabilitation Scholarship Fund     
St. John Health's Providence Park-Novi Hospital
Phone:  734-451-3450
Helps pay for pediatric services.  The help is free.

The I Promise Campaign  
P.O. Box 5714  
Allen Park MI  48101
Phone:  313-215-6171  Rene
An Allen Park group set up by a cancer patient to pay her bills and help others.

The Foreclosure Help as well as the information regarding Security Deposits have
been moved to "Help with Rent/Mortgage Resources" page!

Click on this LINK to find even more Financial Resources!   Financial Resources Page 2



Adult Dental


Adult FREE
Medical Tests,
& Treatments

Adult & Children's
"Special Wish"



Children &
Dental Resources

Children &
Medical &

Child Support

Chore Services
(OR Other In-Home
Help Services)


Credit Counseling

Crime Victim
& Notification

Crisis Pregnancy
& Pregnancy
(Help For Keeping
& Raising
Your Baby)


Domestic Abuse
Sexual Violence

& Employment


Travel Resources


Food Programs/

Food Programs/
"Soup Kitchens"

Food Programs
"Meals On Wheels"

Foster Youth

As Caregivers

Grief Support

Help With Rent
& Mortgage


Home Furnishing





Legal Resources



Low-Cost Car
& Car Repair

Home Mortgage

Organ Donation



Runaway Help

Senior Citizen

Services For
Personnel And
Their Families

Tax Services


Utility Programs

(And Their

Vision & Hearing


Youth Programs
(Including FREE
& Low-Cost
Summer Camps)

This page was last updated: September 28, 2017