Can You Receive Compensation:

Yes If You Are:

A person who was physically injured as a direct result of a crime in Michigan

A person who was physically injured while trying to help a crime victim

A surviving spouse, parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, brother 
or sister of a person who dies as a direct result of a crime                                                                                                                                                                              
A Michigan resident injured in another state that doesn't pay compensation
 for a non-resident

A Michigan resident injured outside the U.S. by an act of international terrorism

What Kind Of Financial Help May Be Available?

Injury-related expenses that a person must legally pay and other eligible losses 
that can be proved with supporting papers and other evidence

For The Victim:

Hospital bills and medical expenses
Loss of earnings, rehab and remedial services
Counseling for the injured person and family members
Replacement services needed because of the person's injury

For The Survivor:

Funeral and burial expenses
Loss of support for legal dependents of the person who died
Grief counseling for the family
Hospital and medical bills for the person who died if the survivors must legally pay them.
(A person must have at least $200 in out-of-pocket expenses or two continuous weeks 
loss of earnings or support.  These limits are excused for retired or disabled persons and 
for emergency room medical exams for rape victims)

What's Not Covered?

Property loss or damage

Pain & suffering

Crime scene clean-up

Relocation costs, living expenses, or the costs of participating in a trial

Loss of earnings for an injured person's family members

In traffic cases crime victims compensation is limited to the unpaid balance 
on funeral expenses after no-fault insurance pays.

Limits On Payments:

$25,000 is the maximum payment

$350 a week is the maximum payment for lost earnings or support

$5000 is the maximum funeral payment.  This may include $500 for grief counseling
for the spouse, children,parents, or brothers & sisters of the person who died

Grief counseling is now a separate benefit payment up to $500.00
35 hours of psychological counseling, and up to $125.00 for a licensed psychologist or physician

Crime Scene Clean-Up is covered up to $500

About Other Benefits:

Crime Victims Compensation always pays last.  All other public funds and private insurance 
payments that a person is eligible for or becomes eligible for must be paid and reported to 
the program before compensation can be considered.


A report must be made to police within 48 hours after the injury unless there was a good 
reason for a delay or the injured person is a child

The victim must be willing to cooperate with the police and the prosecutor
A person cannot have committed or be an accomplice to the crime

Inmates are not eligible

A claim will be rejected if the victim caused the injury or was doing something illegal 
and dangerous at the time of the the injury.

How To Get An Application:

Applications are available from the commission's office, county prosecuting attorneys, 
victim assistance agencies, state police posts and other agencies and care providers.  
Send the fully completed application to:

Crime Victim Services Commission
Capitol View Building
201 Townsend
Lansing MI 48909

When Should You File Your Claim?

Claims for sexual assault should be filed within one year.
A longer time to file a claim will be maybe allowed after a written request shows good reason.

What Do You Need To Send In?

A fully completed application

Itemized copies of all bills you want to claim.  If you will need more medical treatment, 
see if your doctor can give a written estimate of future expenses

If you have insurance or Medicare, send copies of your insurance benefit statements for all expenses

For lost earnings, send copies of recent payroll check stubs and a disability statement from your doctor

For burial assistance, send a copy of the signed itemized funeral bill

For counseling, ask your therapist for the assessment, a treatment plan, and an itemized billing 
or estimate, your therapist can send in the claim for you, if they wish

What If Your Claim Is Turned Down?

You have 30 days to submit a written appeal write to us to disagree. You may ask for a review of the file 
or an evidentiary hearing before the commission in Lansing.


A person's papers and testimony before the commission are private.  They may tell only whether 
a person's claim was approved or denied.  Any other information will only be released by a court order.

Who Pays?

Money to support this service is paid by criminal defendants convicted in Michigan's courts.  
The state also receives money to help crime victims from criminal fines collected in federal courts.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you were a victim of a crime prosecuted in Wayne County and believe a judge 
may have ordered restitution, the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office has set up a phone line for 
inquiries.  Call Director of Victim Services Karen Watts at 313-967-2332.  



For defendant or inmate custody status and court information, call 1-800-770-7657 and follow the 
automated prompts.  You may also press "0" anytime during the call to speak to a representative.  
Callers use basic information, such as prisoner number or name, to search the network database.  
The network will anonymously provide the caller with offender status, and information on upcoming 
court events/custody and hearings.


In addition, crime victims may choose to register for automated telephone notification when an offender 
has a change in custody status throughout the criminal justice process.  Registration is confidential.  
The prosecuting attorney and the Michigan Department of Corrections will help crime victims register 
for notification.  The only information required from you is a telephone number which is kept secure 
and confidential.

How Do You Register For Notification?

To receive network notification of change in court schedules, crime victims may register with their 
prosecuting attorney.  To receive network notification of a change in custody status for offenders 
housed in state prisons, crime victims may register with the Michigan Department of Corrections.

Anyone can register to receive network notification of change in custody status for offenders housed 
in county jails by calling 1-800-770-7657.  In all cases, registration is confidential. 

What Is A Pin?

If you choose to register for notification, you will receive a PIN (Personal Identification Number).  The PIN 
is a four-digit number that you choose which will be kept secure and confidential.  Select a number that 
is easy for you to remember and write it down.  After you get a notification call from the network, enter your 
PIN using the touch-tone numbers on your telephone.  That will let the network system know that you have received the message.

What If I Am Not Home Or My Phone Is Busy When I Receive Notification?

The network is designed to allow every opportunity for you to be notified.  If there is no answer or the line 
is busy, calls will continue for a minimum of 24 hours.  The network will leave a message on an answering 
machine, but will continue to call for 24 hours or until the PIN is entered.

Can I Register More Than One Telephone Number With The Network?

Yes, but each registration must be done separately and requires a PIN.

How Does The Michigan Crime Victim Notification Network Enhance My Personal Safety?

This program is designed to provide you with quick and easy access to information and to assist you 
in preparing for an offender's release.  It is important for you to protect yourself once you are notified 
of an offender's release.

Who Sponsors the Michigan Crime Victim Notification Network?

This is a free service of the Michigan Department of Community Health, Crime Victim Services Commission, 
in partnership with the Michigan Department of Corrections, Department of Attorney General, Prosecuting Attorneys Coordinating Council, Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan and the Michigan Sheriff's Association.

All costs are paid by assessments collected from convicted criminal defendants.


The Detroit Police Victim’s Assistance Program 

A 24-hour hotline is set up at (313) 833-1660.
offers free assistance to relatives of homicide victims, including: 
Grief and loss, individual and group, counseling 
Assistance with victim compensation claims 
Support during the criminal justice process 

Catholic Social Services of Wayne County       
Main Office: 
9851 Hamilton Avenue 
Detroit, MI 48202 
Phone: (313) 883-2100 
Dearborn Office: 
Garrison Place Office Building
19855 West Outer Drive Suite 207E
Dearborn, MI 48124
Phone: (313) 792-9286
Eastside Office: 
15450 E. Jefferson Avenue Suite 190
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Phone: (313) 852-1200
Victims of Crime Act (VOCA)
Wide-range of support services for individuals, children and adult victims of physical, sexual 
and emotional abuse or assault are provided. 
Additional services consist of:
Outpatient counseling 
Information and Referral Psychiatric and psychological consultations

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Michigan Coalition Against Domestic & Sexual Violence

Michigan Department of Corrections Crime Victim Notification Unit

Runaway Hotline                                                      

Parents Hotline

Mothers Against Drunk Driving


Help Other Crime Victims

American Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center
Phone: 866-USWOMEN

National Center for Victims of Crime, National Crime Victim Helpline
Phone: 800-FYI-CALL

National Crime Prevention Council
Phone: 800-NCPC-911

National Criminal Justice Reference Service, Office for Victims of Crime Resource Center
Phone: 800-851-3420

National Fraud Information Hotline
Phone: 800-876-7060

National Human Trafficking Resource
Phone: 888-373-7888

National Organization for Victim Assistance
Phone:  800-TRY-NOVA

National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children, Inc.
Phone: 888-818-POMC

United States Postal Inspection Service
Phone: 877-876-2455

This page was last updated: December 27, 2016