Operation Hero for Hire                                                            Marines for Life
Website:                           Website:
Having problems receiving your Disability benefits?

McNamara Bldg.                                                                
477 Michigan Ave.                                                              
Detroit MI           Website: 
John D. Dingell VAMC
4646 John R Street
Detroit MI  48201
Phone:  313-576-1000      Website:
A Veteran or family member can go directly to the building above and be assigned a Service Officer who can review and assist with Benefits applications.  You can also to the the John D. Dingell VAMC in Detroit and also see certified Service Officers that can help.  The Veteran's Benefits Administration sends 2 people to this hospital twice a month as well on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month! 

Did you know that elderly widows and widowers of retired or honorably separated military officers are eligible to live at Air Force Village I in San Antonio, Texas?

The Villages are three retirement communities in San Antonio whose primary purpose is to care for surviving officer & spouses of ALL branches of the service who need a secure, comfortable and dignified place to live.

They also have a Fellowship Fund that can help meet the financial needs of widow(ers) of retired Air Force officers who do not have adequate financial resources to cover their living or health-care expenses.  NO qualified widow or widower is ever turned away due to inability to pay. 
The identity of the people who receive assistance is kept strictly confidential.

The toll-free number to the Air Force Village Foundation is 800-762-1122.

Wayne County Soldiers & Sailors                                               MI Military Family Relief Fund
Relief Service Group                                                                       Website:
(Veterans & spouses of deceased veterans)
Phone:   313-224-8163

(Veterans and spouses of deceased veterans)
Information:  517-373-3130   New phone number!
Website:        Email:
Click "County Contacts for Veterans" from the left-hand margin of the opening window.

Soldiers Relief Commission
In some counties, emergency relief grants are available to Michigan veterans who do not meet Michigan Veterans Trust Fund criteria.  Funds are limited, so the commission makes an effort to
refer veterans who are eligible to other sources of financial assistance. Contact your county Veterans Affairs office. 
Wounded Warrior Project
7020 AC Skinner Pkwy.  #100
Jacksonville FL 32256
Phone:  877-832-6997  OR  904-296-7350

Provides the following programs:
Grants to VA Hospitals to purchase life-enhancing and life-saving equipment  (Healthcare for Heroes)

Provides money to organizations dedicated to providing affordable housing to veterans
(Housing for Heroes)

Provides used adapted vans donated to or purchased directly by the organization. Additionally, they may assist in adapting a vehicle for a veteran who meets certain financial guidelines (Vans 4 Vets)

Wounded Warrior Project starts at the beds of the severely injured as they undergo treatment
and rehabilitation at the Dept. of Defense facilities and throughout their rehabilitation. To be eligible the veteran must be an honorably discharged veteran of the United States military and have a severe physical disability which leaves him/her in a wheelchair.  Also, the veteran's income must fall within the poverty guidelines established by the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
for a single person or family.

Veterans Haven Inc.
4924 S. Wayne Road
Wayne MI  48184
Phone:  734-728-0527
Veterans Haven provides housing, food, clothing, medical supplies and medical equipment, education and employment resources. Help for Michigan disabled Veterans  (including those
with developmental disabilities and mental illness) with shelters, housing and more!

Michigan Ability Partner
3810 Packard  #200
Ann Arbor, MI  49108
Phone:  734-975-6880
13367 Reeck CT.
Southgate MI  48195
Phone: 734-246-5600
2301 E. Michigan Ave.  #161
Jackson MI  48202
Phone: 517-841-5780
Vocational services, Job Readiness program, Homelessness services.

Veterans Integrated Service Network
(VISN) 11
PO Box 134002
Ann Arbor, MI  48113
Phone:  734-930-5950

State Regional Office          
VA Regional Office
Patrick V. McNamara Building
477 Michigan Ave.
Detroit MI 48226
Phone:  1-800-827-1000

John D. Dingell VA Medical Center
4646 John R
Detroit MI   48201
Phone:  313-576-1000



The Federal Department of Veterans Affairs currently has two national cemeteries in Michigan.

The Fort Custer National Cemetery
15501 Dickham Road
Augusta, MI  49012
Phone:  269-731-4164
Great Lakes National Cemetery                                                  
Grand Mall and Office Center          
4200 Belford
Holly MI  48442               
Phone:  Toll-Free:  1-866-348-8603

Michigan Veteran's Service Organizations

1210 McNamara Building
477 Michigan Avenue
Detroit MI  48226-2584
Phone:  313-964-6640
The following Organizations are at the same address as above but their individual phone numbers are listed next to the individual organization:

AMVETS   313-964-6920       



JEWISH WAR VETERANS   313-226-4327

MARINE CORPS LEAGUE   313-964-6820 OR 1-800-851-6627  *** SEE BELOW!


PARALYZED VETERANS OF AMERICA   313-961-9583  OR 1-800-795-3608




Non-Commissioned Officers Association ****                     Marine Corps League
Detroit VAMC     Downriver Detachment
4646 John R Street         1323 Eureka Road
Detroit MI  48201-1916    Wyandotte, MI  48192
Phone:  313-576-3382            Phone:  734-282-0233

The State of Michigan operates two Veteran's Homes at the following locations:

Grand Rapids Home for Veterans                       D.J. Jacobetti Michigan Home for Veterans
3000 Monroe Avenue, N.W.                                      425 Fisher
Grand Rapids, MI 49505                                            Marquette MI  49855
Phone:  800-642-4838                                               Phone:  800-433-6760

The VA Federal Benefits booklet and other VA information is available at :

Please also check under "Services for Active-Duty Personnel"                      for even more resources that may help you!
Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America   (IAVA)
292 Madison Avenue  #10th Floor
New York, NY  10017
Phone:  212-982-9699
777 North Capitol NE  #403
Washington DC  20002
Phone: 202-544-7692
Did you know there are well-known businesses (such as Little Caesars Pizza) who will help you start a new franchise for just a FRACTION of what it normally would cost?  For ex. Little Caesars will give up to $10,000
in benefits toward starting a new Little Caesars franchise AND service-disabled veterans are eligible for up to $68,000 for starting a franchise.  A typical Little Caesars store costs $175,000 to $300,000 to build and equip.  Information on Little Caesars franchise opportunities can be found at 

For information on VetFran, the International Francise Association program, go to

For information about the Center for Veterans Enterprise, go to OR
call 866-584-2344.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund-Tuition Grant Program
A program administered by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund provides payment for the education
of the children of a veteran who is totally disabled from service-incurred causes, was killed in the line of duty, has died subsequently from a service-related disability, was totally disabled before death from a service-connected illness or injury, or who is listed by the federal government as missing in action in a foreign country.  Recipients must be attending a postsecondary education institution in Michigan. Information and application forms are available from your cunty Veterans Affairs office or on the Internet at
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Vet Centers

If you are a veteran or a spouse of a veteran who wants to learn more about post-traumatic stress, call your nearest V.A. Medical Facility OR contact one of the Vet Centers listed below:

Dearborn Vet Center    Detroit Vet Center
2881 Monroe Street      4161 Cass Avenue
Dearborn MI  48124       Detroit MI  48201
Phone: 313-277-1428 ext. 553   Phone: 313-831-6509

Grand Rapids Vet Center                                                 The Lexus Blvd.
1940 Eastern Avenue SE                                                  44200 Woodward Ave.
Grand Rapids, MI  49507                                                   Pontiac MI  48341
Phone: 616-243-0385                                                         Phone:  248-874-1015

The National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Website is
Veterans Housing Program--Volunteers of America         (Homeless Veterans)

The Veterans Housing Program has greatly expanded housing and other community resources to an underserved population.  Veterans may participate in the program for 18 months and are offered the following services: case management, individual and group counseling, referrals for substance abuse and medical treatment, budgeting assistance, job interviewing and placement and anger management.  Upon graduation, aftercare services are offered for six months. 

Eligible participants must be a homeless veteran and have at minimum a general discharge under honorable conditions.  In Lansing, Volunteers of America operates a 50-bed overnight emergency shelter for men.  For more information about the Veterans Housing Program, please contact:
Daleth Jean-Jules  MSSW, CSW
Program Coordinator
430 N. Larch Street
Lansing, MI  48912
Phone: 517-484-4414, ext. 119
V. A. Center for Women Veterans
Some of the services for women veterans are Center for Women Veterans, Outreach for Women Veterans, Health Care for Women Veterans, Sexual Trauma Counseling and Comprehensive Health Care Centers located at

Motor City Chapter of the Women Marines Association
70274 Campground
Romeo MI 
Phone:  586-752-9241
Additional Monetary Assistance:

Army Emergency Relief                                                   Air Force Aid Society
Website:                                    Website:

You can obtain additional information at these sites or by contacting the Selfridge Community Services office at 1-586-307-4514.  This office provides financial counseling and assistance for service members who are currently on active duty.

The Michigan National Guard Family Fund
was created to assist Air and Army National Guard families who experience financial difficulties
with temporary emergency financial assistance, and to fund programs and training to maintain
and improve the quality of life of our Michigan National Guard families.  The fund provides for up
to a $500 grant to soldiers and airmen and their family members who encounter financial hardships. 
An application must be submitted with the necessary documentation.  For an application form, go
Michigan's Opportunities for Veterans Employment  (MOVE)
MOVE, part of the Dept. of Labor and Economic Growth, identifies, contacts and recruits veterans separating to Michgan for employment opportunities that match their qualifications and career interests.  The program seeks to meet the staffing needs of the business community in Michigan with veterans re-entering civilian life after a single term or after retiring from the armed forces.  The toll-free number is 1-800-455-5228 OR visit

State of Michigan Re-Employment Rights for Veterans
In 2002 the Michigan Legislature enacted a law to strengthen the Michigan law regarding
re-employment of employees after military service.  Get more information at or call the Michigan Dept. of Labor and Economic Growth-Bureau of Workforce Programs and speak to a veterans employment representative at 1-800-455-5228.

Helmets to Hardhats
A free program that helps transitioning military, guardsmen, and reservists find great careers.  The program works with the 15 building and construction trade unions to list construction careers and works with qualified employers to list all other types of careers.  Here you can list your skills online to be viewed by potential employers and view employment and training opportunities throughout the U.S.  Visit the website at

Michigan Rehabilitation Services
Veterans with disabilities should also investigate the State of Michigan Rehabilitation Services program administered by the Michigan Dept. of Labor and Economic Growth.  Services may be available to supplement USDVA allowances for vocational rehabilitation in cases of special need
or for placement, tools, and equipment.  Employment services may also be available to veterans whose disabilities are not service-related.  Information is available toll-free at 1-800-605-6722 or
1-888-605-6722 (TTY) OR visit the website at

Commission on Disability Concerns

Affirmative Action Register
Phone: 800-537-0655
The National EEO Recruitment Publication directed to females, minorities, Veterans, and
disabled persons.  Check this publication to find professional job openings across the country!


Project HERO   (Homes Eliminated of Restrictiions and Obstacles)
A NEW pilot program to help faciliatate home imporvement projects for disabled veterans. 
Founded by the International Code Council Foundation that taps the efforts of building safety officials, design professionals and contractors.  The group helps to install ramps, lower doorknobs and complete other needed fixes, as well as to handle more complicated projects such as room additions.  Michigan is the FIRST state to offer a statewide program!   To submit an application for assistance, visit and click on "Project H*E*R*O" in the Spotlight Section. For futher information, contact Dan Dykstra, assistant coordinator for the Michigan Project H*E*R*O effort, at 517-241-8804 or houses a customized online information center with examples of military-to-civilian resumes, interview tips, important links and more.  You can find out how to draw parallels between skills acquired in the military and those required in civilian positions.

O* is a Website that has a specialized tool that enables veterans to align DOT or MOC codes with similar civilian jobs.  Veterans can find sample job titles, tasks, skills and related occupations.

When developing your resume, be sure to list specific accolades and accomplishments from military and civilian occupations, so employers can see how skills were put in action!

The following companies make it a point to hire veterans!
1.    Home Depot
2.    General Electric
3.   Sprint Nextel  (this company has a career military vet who heads up Sprint's veteran                              recruitment program and they have a pay differential program, veteran support                                       network and other military service benefits!)

Sewing Group
10:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. every 2nd Monday of the month.  Volunteers to make different items for
the V. A. Hospital.  NO sewing experience necessary!
                                                                 Christ the King Lutheran Church   Southgate MI
                                                                 Phone: 734-282-7611

To provide special recognition for the service of military veterans of WWII and the Korean Conflict, a 2001 Michigan law authorizes Michigan school districts to award high school diplomas to WWII and Korean veterans.  The veteran must be 65 years of age, or, if deceased, have reached the age of 65 by the date of death; before graduation from high school, the veteran enlisted or was drafted into the U.S. armed forces between December 16, 1940 and December 31st, 1955 (Korean Conflict); when enlisted or drafted, the veteran was enrolled in a high school, and did not subsequently graduate from high school, the veteran was honorably discharged from the service.  Contact your local school district's Superintendent's office!
Challenge Aspen
Challenge Aspen has a team of talented volunteers who help those with mental (including Traumatic Brain Injuries) or physical handicaps enjoy a winter camp experience.  They also have summer camps which offer art, drama, music and summer sports like fishing, swimming, horseback riding and whitewater rafting.  There will be two special camps for disabled veterans and for newly injured soldiers. Scholarships are available!!!    
For more information call 970-923-0578 or visit


Adult Dental Resources


Adult FREE
Medical Tests, Services & Treatments

Adult & Children "Special Wish" Program

AIDS & HIV Resources


Child &
Dental Resources
(including Orthodontics)

Child &
Medical &

Child Support Resources

Chore Services
(OR Other
In-Home Help)



Crime Victim
& Notification

Crisis Pregnancy
& Pregnancy
(Help For
& Raising
Your Baby)


Domestic Abuse
Sexual Violence

& Employment Training

Housing Agencies



Food Programs/

Food Programs/
"Soup Kitchens"

Food Programs/
"Meals on

Foster Youth

As Caregivers Resources

Grief Support

Help With Rent
& Mortgage





Immigration Resources

Immunization Resources

Legal Resources



Low-Cost Car
& Car Repair Resources

Home Mortgage Assistance

Mental Health
Substance Abuse

Mentoring Programs (for Youths)

Organ Donation


Prescription Resources

Prisoner & Parolee

Runaway Help

Senior Citizen Resources

Services For
Personnel And
Their Families

Tax Services

Transportation Resources

Utility Programs

Vision & Hearing Resources

Weatherization Resources

Youth Programs
& Low-Cost
Summer Camps)

Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries
150 Stinson
Detroit MI  48226                    Must be over 18 and drug-free for the transitional housing.
Phone: 313-993-4700
"Veterans Independence Program"  (V.I.P.)  helps vets with transitional housing.
FREE Legal Services for Veterans!
If you're a veteran and could use some help from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, call 313-596-0262.  The Law School is becomming the first law school in the state to offer free legal assistance to veterans across Michigan.  And rather than asking the veterans, many of
whom have disabilities, to travel to downtown Detroit for their services, the school's lawyers and law students will make house calls using an RV-turned office.  Website:
The James and Dorothy Stanton Foundation Scholarship, for U.S. Armed Forces veterans from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, as well as their children and spouses, are available for those who wish to attend Macomb Community College.   For information, contact the college's Financial Aid Office at 586-445-7228.        Website:
Honor Flight Michigan is a non-profit organization that is focused on sending WWII Veterans to see their Memorial in Washington DC FREE OF CHARGE!  There is an urgency for this task since the national WWII memorial was not opened to the public until 2004 and the Veterans are all 80-102 years old with time running out!

Contact:                                                                               OR
Honor Flight Michigan, Inc.                                             Pride and Honor Flight    
PO Box 237                                                                          4302 Cornwell Lane
Royal Oak, MI  48068-9998                                               Whitmore Lake, MI  48189  
Phone: 248-744-0286                                                        Phone:  734-426-8931 OR 734-323-9800
24 hour voicemail:  248-744-028                                    Email:

Please see the above website to make donations towards this effort also.
Many Veterans and their dependents are not aware that there are different types of pensions available no matter how old you are!

Parents DIC:  A monthly benefit paid to parents of veterans who die in service or as a result of a service-connected disability.  There are qualifying income limits and the amount available is based on the parent's monthly income.

Death Pension:  A monthly benefit paid to unmarried surviving spouses and dependent children of wartime veterans whose death is not due to a service-connected disability.  There are qualifying income limits and the amount payable varies based on the amount of other income. There is no age limit!

Veteran Pension:  Dependent on the Veteran's monthly income...designed to bring Veterans up
to a basic standard of living.  There is no age limit!

Aid and Attendance Pension Benefit:   Wartime veterans and surviving spouses who have in-home care or you live in nursing homes or assisted-living situations and are incapable of self-support and in need of regular personal assistance.

Project VetAssist ( a free online service, guides vets or their survivors applying for the VA Improved Pension program.  Or email

Veterans of Modern Warfare
16945 12 Mile
Roseville MI  48066
Phone:  586-776-9810
Open to current Active-Duty members
of the National Guard, Reserve and
Coast Guard along with any veteran
who served at least 1 day from 8-2-1990
(the start of Operation Desert Storm). 
1st Michigan Chapter is the Roseville Chapter with 2 more to follow in Holly
and Ann Arbor shortly.

Quilts of Valor Foundtion
A non-profit group dedicated to comforting injured veterans.
Homes for Our Troops
Phone:  248-504-9843  Dan Higgins
A 501 (c)3 charity that builds and renovates houses for disabled veterans returning from Iraq
and Afghanistan,providing these services at no cost to the veterans.
VFW National Home for Children
Phone:  800-424-8360
Currently collecting UPC codes from Campbell soup products in order to buy another van for the home....send yours in!

Patriot Express Pilot Loan
Phone: 313-226-6075
Available to active-duty service members as well as veterans and their spouses.  The Small Business Association is making the Patriot Express loan available through its network of participating lenders across the country.  These loans, which are available in amounts up to $500,000 can be used for most business purposes, including start-up, expansion, equipment purchases, working capital, inventory or business-occupied real estate purchases. 
Military Reserve Economic Injury Disaster Loans
Up to $1.5 million that can be used to help reservists prepare their businesses before they leave. 
They can also be used to help manage their businesses while they are gone.
"Returning Veterans Tuition Assistance"
Western Michigan University
Veteran's Dept.
Phone: 269-387-4115    Brenda Hamlyn
Offers veterans a free semester following their discharge or leave from active-duty.
It will cover tuition charges not covered by other tuition-specific programs.  A Veteran should apply within 6 months of his/her deployment and must begin taking classes within the six-month period. 
If the student is applying for a summer session, they can defer the RVTA to the Fall semester if they would like to.  You can receive the RVTA only ONE time.  Vets MUST be eligible for VA benefits.

Underwater Warriors
PO Box 2117
Fort Campbell, KY  42223
This charitable, nonprofit group helps wounded servicepeople through an innovative wellness program based on the sport of scuba-diving.  Injured soldiers and their family members experience the theraputic freedom of diving in a safe pool setting. 

Uncle Sam Program
Optometric Institute and Clinic of Metropolitan Detroit
3044 W. Grand Boulevard   Suite 1-253
Detroit MI  48202
Phone:  313-872-2060
The "Uncle Sam Program" will cover a percentage (up to 100%) of the cost for eye examination and ophthalmic materials, based on individual cases, for military veterans.  No referral is necessary by those requiring care and only proof of military service is required for service. 

Horatio Alger Military Veteran Scholarships
Veterans who served in Operation Eduring Freedom or Operation Iraqi Freedom can apply for these scholarships.
Veterans who need Disability Ramps for their homes, can apply to receive one FREE thru the V.A. no matter their age or the reason they became disabled.  You must have an examination by a V.A. doctor in order to receive a prescription and ramp from the V.A.

Health Care for Homeless Veterans
John B. Dingell VA Medical Center
Detroit MI  48201
Phone:  313-576-1000, ext. 3763
Contact Person:  Frances E. McGivern, Coordinator
A nationwide project of the V.A. designed to assist homeless veterans in obtaining transitional support for re-entry into community life.  Those eligible include homeless vets in shelters or on the streets with discharge other than dishonorable.  If in service after 1980, must have served for at least 24 months active-duty, except vets who served in the Persian Gulf during the war. 
Services include:  Medical and psychiatric evaluations, education and counseling in health care/veteran benefits/substance abuse/and social integration, assistance for vets applying for VA compensation and pension or VA disability, referrals for transitional housing, follow-up services at the VA Medical Center, case management, information about the Dept. of Veterans Affairs and community resources.
Veterans and their family that care for them, are entitled to FREE Respite Care each year!   The Veteran MUST have been in the military during wartime (please be aware that many prior "conflicts" or "police action" wars are now classified as "wartime" so that veterans may access benefits!)
If the Veteran is being cared for at home, they are entitled to 30 HOURS of free respite per year....this may be taken in any increment.  A few days at once, several hours a day, etc.   If the Veteran is being cared for in a nursing home or Assisted-Living, they are entitled to 30 DAYS each year.   Please call 734-769-7100 in order to apply for these benefits!

Michigan Wood Carvers Association Eagle Cane Project
About 300 members of the Michigan Wood Carvers Association are donating their time to make Eagle head cane toppers on canes for injured veterans.  The tradition of giving canes to wounded soldiers dates to the Civil War. While some state carving groups will give canes only to soldiers with combat injuries or who have received Purple Hearts, the Michigan association has made canes for military members with noncombat injureis.  They also want to honor soldiers who have been killed during the war, though they haven't had any requests yet.  The canes have carved eagle heads and the soldier's story is burned onto the shaft, such as the soldier's name, rank and unit, date of injury and the names of the artisans who made the cane.They also affix decals of the American flag, the Purple Heart and the branches of the military.

Marine For Life
Phone:  888-435-7645
Provides transition assistance to Marines who honorably leave active service and return to civilian life.  It also supports injured Marines and their families.
Freedom Team Salute
This organization recognizes Army vets and current service members, including those in the Reserve and National Guard.  Anyone can nominate a veteran.  The program also provides a way for active-duty soldiers to acknowledge the people who have supported them, including parents, spouses and employers.  Recipients receive a pin, certificate and a letter of thanks.
Click directly on the agency's
logo to be taken directly to that site!
Salute American Heroes
100 Broadway
Ossining  NY  10562
Phone:  914-432-5400
Offers several programs such as Homes For the Wounded, Kids Camps, Family Support Network, and Emergency Financial Aid  (pays for utilities, mortgage & rent, groceries, car payments including deposits and repairs, home repairs, air travel & lodging, school supplies & clothing, medical bills & co-pays and loans).
PO Box 213
West Boylston  MA  01583
Phone:  978-422-9064
Service dogs for deaf & disabled Americans including the Canines for Combat Vets program.

Look under the "Disabled Resources" webpage for many more similiar programs!
Allen Park Martial Arts Center
7318 Park Ave.
Allen Park MI  48101
Phone:  313-928-5288
Dr. Matthew Gonzalez, a clinical psychologist and neuropsychologist owns the Center and wants to use his business as a way to alleviate some of the stress experienced by children of Vets.  The center will provide martial arts scholarships to children (ages 3 to 14) of soldiers serving in Iraq or Afghanistanwho have died or become significantly disabled as a direct result of combat deployment. 
Freedom Team Salute
Phone:  703-325-4002
The Freedom Team Salute Campaign gives active-duty soldiers a chance to commend veterans, plus honor their spouses, parents and other family members or anyone who has supported them, such as a local Pastor (Members of the National Guard and Army Reserve can commend their employers as well).  Also, any American can nominate either a living discharged veteran for his
or her service to the country or as an Army supporter.  Freedom Team Salute offers an Ambassadors program for getting people involved at the local level, and it recently expanded efforts to work with various veterans organizations. 
Vacations for Purple Heart Vets!
Former Marines Peggy & Chris Carr of Mason Neck, VA have established this service that connects Purple Heart veterans with homeowners who will donate a week at their vacation properties for free!

The first of a fleet of 50 new mobile counseling centers for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs-Vet Center program, was put into service with the remainder scheduled to be activated over the next three months.  Each vehicle will be assigned to one of VA's existing Vet Centers, enabling the center to improve access to counseling by bringing services closer to veterans.  One of these new mobile counseling centers will be based in Escanaba.  The 38-foot motor coaches, which have spaces for confidential counseling, will carry Vet Center counselors and outreach workers to events and activities to reach veterans in broad geographic areas, supplementing VA's 232 current Vet Centers, which are scheduled to increase to 271 facilities by the end of 2009.  Vet Centers, operated by VA's Readjustment Counseling Service, provide non-medical readjustment counseling in easily accessible, consumer-oriented facilities, addressing the social and economic dimensions of post-war needs.  This includes psychological counseling for traumatic military-related experiences and family counseling when needed for the veteran's readjustment.

Veterans with conventional home loans now have new options for refinancing to a Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA) guaranteed home loan.  These new options are available as a result of the Veteran's Benefits Improvement Act of 2008, which the President signed into law on Oct. 10th, 2008.  For more information, or to obtain help from a VA Loan Specialist, veterans may call VA
at 1-877-827-2702 OR visit


The V.A. is reaching out to veterans--both those who use the home-loan guaranty program and those who don't--to take advantage of their guaranties to keep people in their home.  To obtain help from a VA financial counselor, veterans can call VA toll-free at 1-877-827-3792.  Information about VA's home loan guaranty program can be obtained at
The Social Security Commission expeditates Social Security claims (beginning 10-1-2001)
who were wounded on active-duty. Go to

Social Security for Vets

Anyone who's had active-duty service prior to January 2002 and planning for retirement, qualifies for a higher Social Security payment because of your military service if you were active-duty anytime from 1940-through 2001 (the program was done away with in January 2002).  More info can be found at  This is something to put in your files for when you apply for Social Secuirty down the road.  It is NOT just for retirees BUT for anyone who has served on active-duty prior to January 2002.  THIS BENEFIT IS NOT AUTOMATIC, YOU MUST ASK FOR IT!
Phone: 714-662-2033
For families of those servicemembers who gave their life for their county, an organization around the country (including Detroit) that provides a fun-filled vacation for the children of these veterans.
Wives of fallen service members can connect through the Metro Detroit Chapter of Gold Star Wives of America, Inc. at 586-777-1649 or by going to www.
All Monroe County MI Veterans and their families:

Vietnam Veterans of America, Monroe County Chapter 142 is offering Cemetery plots/gravesites
at Roselawn Cemetary in LaSalle, MI for any United States veteran.  A veteran is any man or woman 17 or older who served or was currently serving in the U.S. military at the time of his/her death or had received an Honorable or General Discharge from said service.  To receive the plot/gravesite, the following conditions must be met:  #1.  The veteran must be deceased.  #2 There must be proof of U.S. military service (DD-214),  #3  The family must show proof of residency in Monroe County at the time of entry into the service or proof of residency immediately after discharge from service and  #4. The family must express/show a need for the gravesite/plot due to financial hardship.  Although the actual site would be donated a no-cost for the veteran, Roselawn Cemetery does charge a fee for opening/closing of gravesites which would have to be paid by the veterans family.  These sites do NOT have the ability to allow for a spouse or loved one to be buried next to them, so these sites are primarily for single, divorced or no spouse or family member co-located site needed.  If all four of these conditions can be met, please contact Larry Richterat 734-735-9646 OR 734-242-0841 for further details.
Veterans and civilian support staff who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan and are now returning to civilian life, tackling job or career problems, or struggling with depression and anxiety, may find help through Eastern Michigan University's free counseling services.  Services also can be extended to family members.  Counseling is provided by advanced  graduate students.  Faculty, who are licensed professional counselors and psychologists, will supervise all counseling.  Call 734-487-4410.   Website:

Oakland University graduate students also provide free counseling through the School of Education and Human Services Counseling Center in Pawley Hall at the Auburn Hills campus, 2200 Squirrel Road.  Call 248-370-2633.             Website:
Countless veterans life-threatening illnesses that are a result of exposure to asbestos, a material that was commonly used in hundreds of military applications, products, and ships primarily because of its resistance to fire.  Unfortunately, asbestos diseases are not always recognized by the VA.  The Mesothelioma  Center is a leader in information on asbestos exposure and mesothelioma doctors. 

The Mesothelioma Center provides a complete list of occupations, ships, and shipyards that could have put our Veterans at risk for developing asbestos-related diseases.  In addition, they have thousands of articles regarding asbestos and mesothelioma and they have even created a veterans-specific section on their website in order to help inform veterans about the dangers of asbestos exposure. 

Timothy Cavanaugh      National Awareness Coordinator
Phone:  407-965-5755


Douglas Karr                  
Veteran U.S. Navy
Website: AND                        

Represents a leading Internet resource for info about mesothelioma and a U.S. Navy veteran.  Countless veterans were exposed to asbestos while aboard naval ships, while repairing military vehicles and aircraft and while residing in aging military housing.  Troops currently serving in Iraq are also at risk of asbestos exposure.  The website contains information on veteran-specific hospitals and medical centers and a database of medical & legal resources for veterans. 
Soldiers returning home can have a hard time adjusting to civilian life but there are organizations that can help!

One such organization is Buddy-to-Buddy which partners returning soldiers with men and women who have already made the transition.  You can get help for either yourself or a soldier you know by calling 1-888-22-BUDDY or 1-888-822-8339.
Apartmemts for Homeless Vets Opens In Detroit!      

Southwest Solutions in Detroit has opened a four-story, 150 apartment building in Detroit to provide long-term housing and care for homeless veterans, both male and female.  Married couples may also apply but no children are taken.   The apartments are called Piquette Square
and are located at 285 Piquette in Detroit.  To apply for an apartment or housing assistance, call 313-841-3727 and ask for Patrica Harris.  For more information, visit
Dearborn Vet Center
2881 Monroe Street   Suite 100
Dearborn MI  48124
Phone: 313-277-1428

Detroit Vet Center
4161 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI  48201
Phone: 313-831-6509

Pontiac V.A. Outpatient Clinic
950 University Dr.
Pontiac MI  48342
Phone: 248-409-0585

VA Ann Arbor HealthCare System
2215 Fuller Road
Ann Arbor MI  48105
Phone: 734-769-7100
The Veterans Task Force of the S.E. Michigan Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is a growing network of community agencies, houses of faith, caring individuals and members of the military working & praying together to respond to the needs of returning troops, veterans and their families.  The V.T.F. goals are to mobilize local faith centers and communities
to provide assistance to returning trooops and their families as they transition from combat duty to civilian life.  For more information contact:
Rev. Carl Ames
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
37775 Palmer Road
Westland MI  48186

Helpful Websites:

Brain Injury Association of MI
Phone: 800-722-4323

Defense & Veterans Brain Injury Center
Phone: 800-870-9244

Midwest Memorial Group
31300 Southfield Road
Beverly Hills MI  48025

Veterans living in Michigan are now eligible to get a complimentary certificate for burial space in a private cemetery in advance of need at no charge for the property.  The number of spaces allocated for veterans is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis in advance of need only.  Applications will be processed in the order they are received.  Veterans or members of their household who already own property at one of the Midwest Memorial Group's participating cemetaries are not eligible.  There is a limit of one certificate per household. 
The participating cemeteries are:

ACACIA Park Cemetary
31300 Southfield Road, Beverly Hills MI  48025
38425 Garfield Road, Westland MI  48185
34224 Ford Road, Westland MI  48185
11851 Van Dyke Avenue, Detroit MI  48234
17840 Middlebelt Road, Livonia MI  48152
9400 W. Fort Street Detroit MI  48209
43300 W. Twelve Mile Road, Novi MI  48377
1032 N. Main Street, Royal Oak MI  48067
29001 N. Woodward Ave., Berkley MI  48072
4800 Curtis Road, Plymouth MI  48170
3771 Whitmore Lake Road, Ann Arbor MI  48105

Some military families may qualify for the expanded Department of Defense Homeowners Assistance Program.  Congress approved $855 million in funding to reimburse service members
for part of their loss from selling their home (during this recession) assist them if they don't have funds from the sale to pay off the mortgage, purchase homes or provide assistance in the event of a default, according to the program website: 

First there must be an announcement of a base closing or realignment action that affects your community.  Then a determination must be made that real estate values have dropped as a direct result of the base closing or realignment announcement.  The assistance is available to military personnel who bought homes before July 1st, 2006 and were reassigned between Feb. 1st, 2006 and Sept. 30th, 2010. The applicant must be a military service member (including the Coast Guard) OR federal civilian employee assigned at or near the location announced for closure or realignment. 

The Million Veteran Program, sponsored by the Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Research and Development, has a $19.8 million budget to research how genes affect the health and illnesses of those who have served in the Armed Forces.  They hope to customize treatments for conditions that affect Veterans and study whether there are underlying genetic factors that contribute to disorders.  More than 25,000 vets have signed up so far and the VA hopes to hit the 1 million mark within seven years.  Volunteers must provide blood samples and complete health questionnaires at one of the nation's 40 VA health centers.  The samples are tested for DNA and other genetic characteristics.  Procedures are in place to protect participants' privacy.  For more information call 1-866-441-6075 toll-free. 

On-leave members of the Armed Forces may use the Warren Community Center's Fitness Center for FREE!  The Center is at 5460 Arden Ave., in Warren MI.