Ameritech Michigan Lifeline
Phone: 1-800-621-8650
CenturyTel Lifeline Service                          
Phone: 800-201-4099                                         
Website:  www.centurytel.com
Phone service for income-eligible families.
AT&T Directory Assistance Exemption
Phone: 800-244-4444
Website:  www.att.com
Offers free local directory assistance to AT&T customers with visual impairments
who have difficulty using a telephone directory. A physician's prescription is required.

Lifeline Service AND Link-Up
Lifeline Telephone Assistance is available to help qualified customers with their monthly phone bills. 
Lifeline service provides a discount on your monthly bill. You may be qualified if you receive some
form of government assistance. Reduces the installation charge for phone service by 50%, up to
$30 for qualified customers.  Also provides discounts for basic local wireline telephone service on
monthly telephone bills.  All local wireline telephone service providers in Michigan are required to
provide Link-Up and Lifeline. Contact your local telephone company to apply!

Reach Out Wireless
P.O. Box 27168
Columbus, OH  43224
Phone:  877-870-9444
Website: https://reach-out-wireless.com/reachout-wireless/reachout-wireless-free-phone
If you participate in a government low-income assistance program,
you qualify for free mobile service.  Only one phone per address.

Safelink Wireless
P.O. Box 220009
Milwaukie, OR  97269-0009
Phone:  1-800-723-3546
Website: https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/NewPublic/index.html
Same criteria as program above.

Assurance Wireless         
P.O. Box 686
Parsippany, NJ  07054
Phone:  888-898-4888
Email:  ourteam@assurancewireless.com
Website: http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/ContactUs.aspx
Same criteria as program above. 

CABLE SERVICES             

Comcast has launched the Internet Essentials Program aimed at getting low-cost home Internet service
to families whose children are receiving free school lunches through the National School Lunch Program. 
If you receive the Bridge Card program, your K-12 students are automatically eligible for the free school
lunch program (look under the "Food Resources" page on this website to sign up). To sign up for the
Comcast deal, you have to go through an application process that starts with callling 855-8-INTERNET
OR 855-846-8376.  Cost is just $9.95 plus tax a month.  If you don't have a computer, one can be purchased
from them for $149.99 plus tax.   Website:  www.InternetEssentials.com



Coalition to Keep Michigan Warm  (listings of state-wide resources!)
Website:  www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/winterwise/energy_assistance.htm

Phone:  Call 2-1-1  Within county
Phone: 1-800-552-1183 Outside the county
For referrals to agencies that have grant funds for this need.

If you call an agency and they are out of funding at that time, ask if you can leave your name
& contact information for when they do have funding.  Many agencies receive NEW funding
from various sources throughout the year and are not always told ahead of time when the
new funding will arrive! 

If you are the parent of a child with a serious illness  OR  ill yourself, please check under
the "Financial Resources" pages for programs that will help you with your utilities as well
as housing!

Phone:  800-292-5650 energy assistance hotline        Apply online for faster service!
Website: www.michigan.gov/MIBridges
Low-income residents can get help to pay utility bills throughout the year with this program. Provides
immediate help to individuals and families facing conditions of extreme hardship or to emergencies
that threaten health and safety.  Program covers needs such as payment for heating fuel, electricity,
home repairs, relocation assistance, rent assistance or burial.  Eligibility is based on demonstration
of immediate need.  Visit your local Department of Human Services Agency for assistance and bring
your bills and financial information.  Check in at the desk before 11 a.m. and you are guaranteed to be
seen that day!  Do NOT go on Wednesdays!


S.E.R. caps for heat and electricity at the Dept. of Human Services have been changed to Natural
Gas and Wood/Other Fuel Types to $450 and Non-Heat Electricity to $450, All -Electric $450, Deliverable
Fuel to $450, effective 10/3/13.  Deliverable fuels (such as propane and fuel pellets) requests only qualify
if the remaining fuel supply is at 25% or less.  Minimum payments for energy services over the past six
months must have been paid, unless the group is "categorically eligible" (everyone in the home is active
on the same Bridge Card case, plus a few other requirements). 

All energy-related State Emergency Relief (S.E.R.) requests, including furnace repairs, heat and electricity
services must fall within the crisis season which now runs from November 1st through May 31st each year.
Requests for funds covering those services made between June 1 and October 31 will be denied.

NEW!!  A shut-off notice will NOT be needed for S.E.R. qualification--a past-due notice on a bill is sufficient.
The new paper S.E.R. application form (DHS 1514) is the only form needed for submissions. 
You can download this form at:
you can also do an application at www.michigan.gov/mibridges.


Schedule a FREE DTE Energy Consultation where DTE's energy consultants will visit your home
to provide a personalized energy assessment that will evaluate the energy efficiency of your home
and they will INSTALL FOR FREE, Energy Star compact fluorescent light bulbs, water-saving facet
aerators for kitchen and bath, water-saving shower heads and wrap your water heater and pipes!
Schedule an appointment today by calling 877-497-2191 and you can visit

NOTE:  DTE Programs

Medical Emergencies
If an account is subject to shut off for non-payment, a shut off may be postponed for up to 21 days
due to a medical emergency.  Written proof from a doctor or notice from a public health or social
services agency that service shut-off will aggravate an existing medical emergency must be provided. 
Phone:  1-800-477-4747    Website: www.dteenergy.com

Energy Direct
Department of Human Services (DHS) matches the names of clients with shutoff status customers
of DTE, Consumer's, and Secom. Clients sign up for this automated program and receive a maximum
of $550 for heat/$550 for electricity. Shutoff is avoided for 30 days and a notice does not go to their
home.  DHS will alert clients when a shutoff notice has been paid.
Deliverable Fuel Assistance
Low-income customers with a deliverable fuel emergency can apply for assistance through
the Michigan Community Action Agency Association by calling 517-321-7500.
Earned Income Credit
This credit is available based on the income level and number of qualifying child dependents. 
To apply for the credit, you must file a federal income tax return with Schedule EIC.  You can
receive an advance cash payment through your employer or apply for the credit at tax time.
Contact the IRS to apply. Phone:  313-628-3722   Website: www.dteenergy.com
Home Heating Credit
Low-income customers, seniors 65+, and residents with disabilities are eligible to obtain heating
bill funding through the Michigan Department of Treasury.  For more information, visit
Website: www.michigan.gov/heatingassistance.   
Eligibility for the Home Heating Credit is based on annual household income, the number of household
members, and other factors. State income tax returns do not have to be filed to receive the credit,
so many who are eligible for it are not required to file taxes. To find out if you qualify for the Home
Heating Credit, and to make an appointment, call:
Accounting Aid Society (AAS)
7700 Second Avenue, Suite 314
Detroit, MI 48202-2411
Phone:  313-556-1920
Website:  www.accountingaidsociety.org

Shut-off Protection-Active Duty in the Military
If you or your spouse is called to full-time active military service during a time of declared national
or state emergency or war, you may apply for shut-off protection for up to 90 days.  You may request
extensions of this protection by re-applying.  You must provide verification of active duty status. 
At the end of active duty, you must notify DTE of your status.  You will still be required to pay for
the energy service used during your participation in this program.  DTE will enroll you in a payment
plan for all past due amounts to be paid within one year.  Contact DTE Energy for more information.
Residential Low-Income Assistance Credit
Low-income customers may qualify for a $6 per month credit on their account ($12 per month if served
by both Detroit Edison and MichCon).  For more information call 877-477-4747.  You will need to take
proof of your income to one of these three Detroit offices:  2835 Bagley  OR  3000 Gratiot OR  17227
7 Mile Road, OR 9600 E. 8 Mile, all in Detroit.  If you do not live in Wayne County, you will need to call
the number above to find the nearest office to you.
Winter Protection Plan
If you are a low-income or senior citizen customer of a natural gas or electric utility company, rural electric cooperative, regulated by the Michigan Public Service Commission or an alternative energy supplier and
would like to participate in the Winter Protection Plan, a payment deferral program that provides winter
shut-off protection from November 1st to March 31st, contact your local energy supplier or the Michigan
Public Service Commission at 1-800-292-9555 for details or visit their website at www.michigan.gov/mpsc.

Obtain financial donation assistance toward your winter utility bills. 
535 Griswold Street, Suite 200
Detroit , MI 48226
Phone: 800-866-8429      Cell phone users call: 800-552-1183
Email:  info@thawfund.org  
Website:  http://thawfund.org
Residents are eligible who:
1. Income must be at or below 250% of 2009 Federal Poverty Level
2. have exhausted federal and state funded programs
3. are in shutoff status (except seniors, age 62 or older)
If you live in subsidized housing, you are not eligible for assistance unless you spent 30% of your
income on household costs (rent, utilities, and water) in the past year. Please see website for other
needed guidelines. THAW (a Detroit-based non-profit) will distribute $4.8 million in emergency energy
assistance to about 8,000 families with emergency energy issues each year, across 70 counties in
For more information on the energy assistance programs, call 800-866-8429  OR  dial 2-1-1 in Calhoun,
Kalamazoo, Kent, Jackson, Macomb, Muskegon, Oakland, Ottawa and Wayne counties and across the
Upper Peninsula.

Michigan Veteran Trust Fund
Phone:  313-899-1162
Website: www.michigan.gov/dmva
Serves Veterans and spouses (legally married at the time of the veteran's death) of deceased Veterans.

TrueNorth Community Services
6308 S. Warner Avenue | P.O. Box 149
Fremont, MI 49412
Phone:  231-355-5880 (intérprete español disponible)
Email: inquiry@tnempower.org
Website: https://tnempower.org
Many people in Michigan struggle to pay their heat and energy bills. Cold comes fast when warmth
can’t be found. emPower™ wants to keep you warm. We work with you to find ways to afford paying
those bills. Get help with electric, natural gas, propane, wood, pellets, fuel oil, coal and other fuels
through emPower.
We are working to provide help for 2017-2018.
To receive emPower’s help with heat and energy bills, you must have:
•Electric and/or natural gas bill past due or a shut-off notice
•Propane or fuel oil level less than 25 percent when delivered
•Less than 14 days of wood/pellets
You must also qualify based on income
emPower™ works with people in all 83 Michigan counties!

Community Action Alliance WRAP (see above but in other counties as well!)
Water Residential Assistance Program
WRAP Connect Center hours are 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
All applicants and program participants should call (313) 386-WRAP (9727) or fill out our Service
Request form and a customer service representative will contact you within two business days.

The Detroit Water Fund                   
Detroit Water & Sewage Dept. & The Human Utility Fund
Email: info@detroitwaterproject.org
Website: https://www.detroitwaterproject.org
Water is a human right. Yet in places such as Detroit, Baltimore, and other cities in the United
States, families unable to afford their water bills have their water service disconnected. When
this happens, kids can't bathe, people can't wash dishes, and grandparents can't flush their
toilets. The Human Utility provides assistance to families and makes sure they always have
running water at home. The Human Utility Fund helps all areas in Michigan!

Detroit LIbrary TIP LINE
Phone: 313-481-1400
Website: http://www.detroitpubliclibrary.org/specialservice/tip
Referral for Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties and website can only be accessed
from a Detroit library computer.  Call the number above for help.


Wayne County Soldiers & Sailors Relief
28 W. Adams Suite 1710
Detroit,  MI 48226
Phone: 313-224-5045
Website:  www.waynecounty.com
Serves Veterans and spouses (legally married at the time of the veteran's death) of deceased Veterans.

Website: http://www.semcoenergygas.com/Default.aspx?id=96&b=201
Monthly Assistance Program—MAP
MAP is an income-based, budget program that provides qualifying customers with a reduced budget amount through September 2016. While enrolled and making your monthly payments, you will receive a credit each
month. The average monthly credits range from approximately $15 - $40 per month. You may also be eligible
to receive relief for any current balance, up to $1000.
Program Benefits Include:
Discounted Monthly Budget Payment
Qualified customers with past due balances may have them reduced by up to $1000
Service is protected from shutoff while actively enrolled in the plan
No late fees
No large balance to pay at the end of the program*

Consumers Energy Payment Assistance Program
Phone: 800-477-5050
Website:  www.consumersenergy.com
Consumers Energy developed the Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) Program in
partnership with (3) assistance agencies and the Department of Human Services (DHS) to help eligible
low income customers with a history of energy assistance to afford monthly energy bills. The program
is funded through a State of Michigan grant from the Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund (LIEAF), administered by the MPSC. Customers enrolled in CARE may not receive crisis assistance for energy
from the DHS State Emergency Relief (SER) program.
The Neighborhood House is handling open enrollment of the CARE program. This is a wonderful program, however,  there is a very limited  number of openings this year (2015).  You can only sign up through an agency; you cannot apply directly.   
What does CARE Provide?
1.  Consumers will pay off your old balance.
2.  Future Consumer gas bills will be billed at 50% less for  the months of October to March.
3.  Energy bills from April through September will be billed at a 30% discount.
Eligibility for CARE:
1.  Bill must be in your name or your spouse’s name.
2.  Your current bill needs to have a past due amount but not over $3,000.
3.  Income based on number of household members.
How to Apply:
Come to one of our group sessions at Neighborhood House and fill out the application-
(this will take no more than 1 hour)
Things to bring with you:
1. Your Driver’s License or Michigan ID
2. Your Social Security Card
3. Your most recent Consumer’s Bill.
4. Proof of Monthly Income:Social Security statement for 2015, 30 days worth of pay stubs, etc.
When filling out the application, you will need to know the Social Security numbers and birthdates
for everyone in your household.  If you need more information, call 248-651-5836.

Website: www.USC.SalvationArmy.org/PeopleCare
​Since 1983, PeopleCare is a collaborative effort between the Michigan-based utility company Consumers
Energy and the Salvation Army to help Michigan residents in need. Charitable donations from Consumers
Energy customers and employees allow The Salvation Army to extend emergency material assistance to
families ranging from energy for both material assistance and bill credits on a case by case basis in the
context of its broader social services. Since inception, the PeopleCare program has helped over 375,000
Michigan households with support totaling nearly $50 million.
This new program is a pilot program for downriver residents, administered thru the Salvation Army
Called RISE APP, it is better than the current LSP program.
Eastern Michigan Division
1258 Biddle Ave.
Wyandotte, MI   48192
Phone: 734-282-0930
Website:  www.sadownriver.org
Below are the rules:
Must have a regular income thru work, Social Security, etc.
Child support IS NOT considered a reliable source of income!
Your past due DTE bill must NOT be over $2,000.
You may use THAW funds on the past due bill amounts but NO OTHER FUNDING SOURCES
such as DHS, etc.  can be used.
You will pay $95.00 a month and when you first sign up, 30% of your past due bill will be taken
off with an additional 10% every month afterwards.
Please call and leave your name and number and you will be called back for an appointment
and those will be scheduled for Thursdays and Fridays.
P.S. Before you actually go for your appointment in person, I would call THAW and see how
much they will take off to begin with.....hint, hint!

The Salvation Army Harbor Light / DHS Emergency Assistance Program
3737 Humbolt
Detroit, MI 48208
Call to make an appointment: 313-361-6136, ext. 351 or 353
(zip codes 48201, 48202, 48207, 48208, 48209, 48210, 48211, 48216, 48226, 48217)
The Salvation Army Dearborn Heights Citadel Corps.
26700 Warren Road
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
Phone: 313-563-4457 to schedule an appointment
Water Assistance provided as funding is available. Valid Michigan ID matching address
on past-due or shut-off notice bill, decision letter from DHS may be required (depends
on city).

St. Vincent DePaul
Van Elslander Family Center
3000 Gratiot Avenue
Detroit, MI   48207
Phone: 313-393-2930
Website: www.svdp.org
Website: http://svdpdet.org/need-help/energy-assistance
One of the Special Works of St. Vincent de Paul, Detroit is to offer energy assistance
to income eligible households who may be in danger of having their electric and heating
utilities disconnected or who are unable to pay their energy bills. If you meet the eligibility
guidelines below and live in the counties of Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Monroe, Lapeer or
St. Clair, please call 313-393-2930 for assistance.
2017 – 2018 MEAP Household Eligibility Guidelines
•Any person age 18 or older who resides in the household can apply for assistance
•Applicant must provide proof of identity, residence and a copy of his/her Social Security card
•Residence must be applicant’s primary residence, not a commercial account
•The Social Security number for every member in the household must be provided
•Applicant must be a US citizen or qualified alien. Immigration status of household members
who are not US citizens must be verified and documented
•Total income in the household must be at or below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines
Proof of income from the past 30 days must be provided for all members of the
household who have income
•Maximum payment is $3000 for a combined natural gas and electric account or $1500 for
a single utility (heat or electric)
A shut-off notice is not required however the bill must be past due. For propane and fuel oil
customers the fuel tank must contain no more than 25% of its heating fuel capacity.
•If enrolled in DTE’s LSP, Consumers Energy’s CARE or SEMCO’s MAP: not eligible for assistance
with the utility in which you are enrolled.
St. Christine Christian Services
15317 Dacosta Street
Detroit, MI  48223
Website: http://sccsdetroit.org/programs/st-vincent-de-paul-services
Volunteers from Christ the King Conference of St. Vincent de Paul, are available to assess
urgent needs for clothing, furniture, appliances, bedding, etc. They also assist with applications
for utility assistance when funding is available and make referrals to agencies for rent subsidies.
Assistance is available for individuals who need copies of documents, faxing services or other
administrative assistance.
Persons living in Detroit Zip Codes 48219 and 48223
MUST provide proof of residency with current Michigan ID, DTE bill or copy of rent/lease agreement
Appointment times available:
Monday and Wednesday, 1:30 to 3:30pm.  Thursday, 10:00am to 12 noon.

Health Emergency Lifeline Programs (H.E.L.P.)             
1726 Howard
Detroit, MI  48216
Phone: 313-832-3300  OR  888-435-5655
Email:  help@helpoffice.org
Website:  www.helpoffice.org
Helps low-income people with utilities including water bills. 
Must have HIV/AIDS and/or Hepatitis C.

Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency   (NOW serving the City of Detroit!)  
Corporate Office:
7310 Woodward Ave., Suite 800
Detroit, MI  48202
Phone:  313-388-9799  Detroit Residents ONLY   TTY: 1-800-649-3777
2121 Biddle Avenue                                  
Wyandotte, MI  48192                                             
Phone:  734-284-6999       
M-F  8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Website:  www.waynemetro.org
If you need help with paying utility bills or restoring your utility services, contact the Wayne
Metro CONNECT Call Center at the number above to learn if you are eligible for assistance. 
If you are eligible, you will be given an appointment to meet with a Direct Service Specialist
(DSS) at one of the many Wayne Metro sites throughout Wayne County. (The Wayne Metro
CONNECT Call Center will tell you about any documents you must bring to your appointment. 
Your specialist will guide you through all necessary steps to access utility assistance programs
or to get your utilities restored.
You will also meet with a Community Resource Navigator (CRN) who will guide you to other
beneficial services and programs to help you find employment, advance your education, build
financial security, improve your housing situation, and address any other needs that you or
your family may have.
Home Energy Supports
If you are a Wayne County resident, our Home Energy Supports program can provide you
with assistance in paying past-due utility bills including electricity and gas (or other deliverable
fuels such as home heating oil). We can also provide guidance to help you get your utility services
restored if they have been shut off.
Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP)
The WRAP’s mission is to administer the distribution of the Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA)
WRAP funding to the eligible, low-income residential customers of the GLWA service areas, with
a vision to create a transformative water utility assistance program focusing on bill assistance,
conservation, and self-sufficiency initiatives.
City of Detroit residents who are not eligible for WRAP assistance can enroll in the DWSD 10/30/50
Payment Plan. The plan allows for customers to pay down arrears by spreading them across future
payments. For more information please call 313.267.8000 or visit www.detroitmi.gov/dwsd.
Look under "Weatherization Resources" as well!

Community Action Alliance WRAP (see above but in other counties as well!)
Water Residential Assistance Program
WRAP Connect Center hours are 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
All applicants and program participants should call (313) 386-WRAP (9727) or fill out our Service
Request form and a customer service representative will contact you within two business days.

The Detroit Water Fund                   
Detroit Water & Sewage Dept. & The Human Utility Fund
Email: info@detroitwaterproject.org
Website: https://www.detroitwaterproject.org
Water is a human right. Yet in places such as Detroit, Baltimore, and other cities in the United
States, families unable to afford their water bills have their water service disconnected. When
this happens, kids can't bathe, people can't wash dishes, and grandparents can't flush their
toilets. The Human Utility provides assistance to families and makes sure they always have
running water at home. The Human Utility Fund helps all areas in Michigan!

The WAVE Fund 
Main Office - Water Board Building
735 Randolph Street
Detroit, MI 48226
Eastside Office
13303 E. McNichols
Detroit, MI 48205
Westside Office
15600 Grand River
Detroit, MI 48227
Phone:  313-267-8000
Open Monday- Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm
Email: wave@wmenergy.com
Website: https://www.wavefund.org
Website: http://detroitmi.gov/dwsd   
The WAVE Fund is designed to provide assistance to low-income residents of the City of Detroit.
Proof of low-income status must be provided in the form of Department of Human Services credentials, evidence of unemployment benefits, social security and/or disability benefits.
•The account must be in the resident's or spouse's name and the applicant must live at the account
•The customer should discuss bill payment options with the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department
(DWSD) before applying for WAVE Fund assistance
•Service must be off or a shut-off notice received. Shut-off notice is waived for seniors over 62 years old (Overdue notice is sufficient).
•WAVE assists with paying the dollar amount needed to restore or maintain water services.
The maximum allowance for assistance is 50% of the bill up to $500
•Customers may receive WAVE Fund help only once in any calendar year.
•The WAVE Fund assistance must restore service or assure service continuation for at least 30 days
•The customer must make arrangements with DWSD to pay any remaining balance over the amount
of the WAVE funding provided.
•Applicants should apply for all other state federal or private assistance.
Detroit residents may apply for WAVE assistance by calling 313-267-8000 or visiting a Detroit
Water & Sewerage Department (DWSD) Customer Care Center. DWSD staff will complete
the paperwork and submit to WAVE for consideration.
ALSO, please be sure to bring the following (3) items with you to the Water Department:
•Your water bill with your account information displayed
•Personal Identification
•Proof of Income (or lack thereof)

Downriver Community Conference               
15100 Northline Road         
Southgate, MI  48195         
Phone:  734-362-3475  Weatherization
Phone:  734-362-7059   Utility help   (new phone number!)
Website:  www.dccwf.org
Financial assistance to income eligible families for household energy bills  (Not eligible
for those in Brownstown, Dearborn, Lincoln Park, Southgate, Taylor, Woodhaven or Wyandotte). Weatherization repairs to homes to decrease energy cost:
Allen Park, Brownstown Twp., Ecorse, Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Grosse Isle, Lincoln Park, Melvindale,
River Rouge, Riverview, Rockwood, Romulus, Southgate, Taylor, Trenton, Woodhaven, Wyandotte.

Livonia Dept. of Community Resources
(Serves Livonia only)
Phone:  734-421-6450 x 105
Email: utilityassistance@ci.livonia.mi.us (Online Contact Us Form)  Livonia Housing Commission
Utility Shut-off Assistance
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds are available to qualified low-income Livonia
residents who have a current utility shut-off notice.  CDBG funding provides payment of gas, electric
or fuel heating bills, up to a combined maximum of $500.00 on a one-time only basis.

Detroit Area Agency on Aging--1A
1333 Brewery Park Blvd., Suite 200
Detroit, MI 48207
Phone: 313-446-4444
Website:  www.daaa1a.org
Serves cities of Detroit, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park,
Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods and Highland Park.
Area Agency on Aging--1B
29100 Northwestern Hwy.  Suite 400
Southfield, MI  48034
Phone: 248-357-2255  OR  800-852-7795
Website:  www.aaa1b.org
The Senior Alliance, Inc.--1C
5454 Venoy
Wayne, MI  48184
Phone: 734-722-2830 OR  800-815-1112
Website: www.aaa1c.org
Serves all of Wayne County, excluding areas served by Region 1-A

The Information Center
20400 Superior
Taylor, MI  48180
Phone: 734-282-7171
Email:  info@theinfocenter.info
Website:  www.theinfocenter.info
Utility referral & assistance for downriver residents.

Perfecting Community Development Corporation
7616 E. Nevada Street
Detroit, MI 48234
Phone:  313-365-2273
E-mail: information@perfectingcommunity.org
Website: http://perfectingcdc.org
The Community Care Center is the community empowerment division and acting human
service facility for Perfecting Community Development Corporation. Also a THAW utility
assistance distribution center.


NOTE:  Check the instructions & agencies at the TOP of the page before calling these agencies!

Phone:  2-1-1  Within county
Phone:  1-866-561-2500  Outside of county
Searchable 2-1-1 database:  http://www.centralmichigan211.org/GetHelpGiveHelp.htm

Area Agency on Aging--Region 2
102 N. Main Street
Brooklyn, MI 48230
Phone: 517-592-1974  OR 800-335-7881
Website:  http://www.r2aaa.net

Community Action Agency Association
400 W. South Street
Adrian, MI  49221
Phone:  Lenawee County-  Burt Fenby 517-263-7861  bfenby@caajlh.org
1214 Greenwood
Jackson, MI  49203
Phone:  Jackson County -  Kate Lambert Lee 517-784-5185  klee@caajlh.org
55 Barnard
Hillsdale, MI  48242
Phone:  Hillsdale County-  Maxine Vanlerberg 517-437-3346  mvanlerberg@caajlh.org
Email:  info@caajih.org
Website: http://www.caajlh.org
Maintains an emergency fund for people who are experiencing home heating-related
emergencies.   Working poor, elderly and handicapped residents who have received
a shut-off notice or are in need of emergency fuel delivery assistance.

The Salvation Army--Adrian Corps.
217 W. Church Street
Adrian, MI  49221
Phone:  269-265-2038
Website: www.salvationarmyusa.org

Michigan Community Action Agency Association
Macomb County Community Services Agency
VerKuilen Building
21885 Dunham Road,  Suite 10
Clinton Twp., MI  48036
Phone: 586-469-6999  between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays
Email: mccsa@macombcountymi.gov
Website:  www.macombcounty.gov/mccsa
Macomb Community Services Agency Center
18 Market Street
Mt. Clemens, MI  48043
Phone: 586-469-6964
Northern Macomb Area including Armada, Bruce Township, Chesterfield Twp. (north of 23 Mile Rd.)
Lenox, Macomb Twp. (north of 23 Mile Rd.), Memphis, New Baltimore (north of 23 Mile Rd.), New Haven,
Ray, Richmond, Romeo, Shelby Twp. (north of 23 Mile Rd.), or Washington Twp.
Contact the North Action Center:
58144 Gratiot
New Haven, MI  48048
Phone:  586-749-5146   (closed Tuesdays)
Southern Macomb Area including Roseville, Center Line, Eastpointe, or Warren.
Contact the South Action Center:
22856 Ryan Rd.
Warren, MI  48091
Phone:  586-759-9156
NOTE:  Macomb County Community Services Agency may be able to assist with a furnace
repair and / or replacement through their Weatherization program.  However, this is not an
emergency service!   Phone: 586-469-6329.

Veterans Trust Fund
21885 Dunham Road, Ste.3
Robert A Verkuilen Bldg.
Clinton Twp., MI  48036
Phone: 2-1-1 OR  586-469-5315

The Salvation Army Mt. Clemens Corps.
55 Church Street
Mt. Clemens, MI  48043
Phone: 586-469-6712
The Salvation Army-Warren Corps.
24140 Mound Road
Warren, MI  48066
Phone:  586-754-7400
Website:  http://centralusa.salvationarmy.org

Jewish Family Services
Orley Building
6555 W. Maple
West Bloomfield, MI 48322
Crown Pointe Office Complex
25900 Greenfield Road Suite #405
Oak Park, MI 48237
Phone: 248-592-2313   OR 248-661-1836
Website:  www.jfsdetroit.org

Open Door Outreach Center
7170 Cooley Lake Road
Waterford, MI  48327
Phone: 248-360-2930
Email:  opendoor4328@sbcglobal.net
Website: www.opendooroutreachcenter.com
Provides assistance to families experiencing emergency-related utility needs as funding permits.


NOTE:  Check the instructions & agencies at the TOP of the page before calling these agencies!

Phone:  Call 2-1-1 Within county                                         
Phone:  1-800-552-1184  Outside the county                    

NEW!!  See the Downriver Community Conference listing under Wayne County!

The Salvation Army                                               
815 E. First Street                                                             
Monroe, MI  48161                                                                    
Phone: 734-241-0404                                                             
Website: http://centralusa.salvationarmy.org                                                                     
Assistance with utility assistance for qualifying individuals, based on income level and
who have a shut-off notice and "decision notice" from the Department of Human Services.

Monroe Community Opportunity Program  (M.C.O.P.) 
1140 South Telegraph Road
Monroe,  MI  48161
Phone:  734-241-2775 ext. 228
Website:  www.monroecountyop.org
Assistance with utility assistance for qualifying individuals, depending on income level,
who have a shut-off notice AND a"decision notice" from the Department  of Human Services.

Monroe Community Mental Health
1001 South Raisinville Road
Monroe, MI  48161
Phone: 734-243-7340
For persons with a documented diagnosis of a serious, persistent mental illness, assistance
with utilities may be available if the person has received two denials from other agencies. 

Veterans Trust Fund
29 Washington Street
Monroe, MI  48161
Phone: 734-240-7359
Limited assistance for veterans who have had wartime service.  Must have a shut-off notice
and ability to pay in the future.

Monroe Missionary Baptist Church
14260 South Dixie Hwy.
Monroe, MI  48161
Phone: 734-241-6860
Limited assistance with utilities, typically paying only a small portion.

St. Mary's St. Vincent DePaul
127 N. Monroe Street
Monroe, MI 48162
Phone: 734-241-9067
Limited assistance with utilities, typically paying only a small portion.

St. John's St. Vincent dePaul
511 S. Monroe Street
Monroe, MI  48161
Phone: 734-241-8910
Limited assistance with utilities, typically paying only a small portion.

St. Michaels / St. Vincent dePaul
510 W. Front Street
Monroe, MI  48161
Phone: 734-241-8645
Limited assistance with utilities, typically paying only a small portion. 


NOTE:  Check the instructions & agencies at the TOP of the page before calling these agencies!

Detroit LIbrary TIP LINE
Phone: 313-481-1400
Website: http://www.detroitpubliclibrary.org/specialservice/tip
Referral for Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties and website can only be accessed
from a Detroit library computer.  Call the number for help.

Community Sharing Outreach Center
2909 N. Milford  (Apollo Center)
Box 405
Highland, MI  48357
Phone:  248-889-0347
Email:  info@community-sharing.org
Website:  www.community-sharing.org
A non-profit agency that offers financial assistance with utility shut-offs for in-need
residents of Milford, Highland and part of Wixom. 

South Oakland Shelter                                                     
18505 W. 12 Mile Road   
Lathrup Village,  MI  48076                                                  
Phone:  248-809-3773
Website: www.southoaklandshelter.org
Utility assistance to prevent homelessness.

Oxford Orion FISH            
487 First Street
Oxford Township, MI  48371
Phone:  248-628-3933
Email: oxfordorionfish@gmail.com
Website:  http://oxfordorionfish.org
Financial assistance to help pay utility shut-offs for those in need in a the villages of Oxford,
Lake Orion and their townships, and parts of Leonard, Lakeville, Addison and Oakland Townships.

Perfecting Community Care Center                       
7100 E. Davison
Detroit, MI 48212
Phone: 313-365-2273
Email:  swhite@perfectingcommunity.org
Website:  www.perfectingcdc.org
Serves Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties.

Rochester Neighborhood House 
1720 S. Livernois
Rochester, MI  48307
Phone: 249-651-5836
Website:  www.ranh.org
Helps keep utilities operational.  They are a THAW (The Heat and Warmth Fund) approved site.
Serves those in Auburn Hills, Lakeville, Leonard, Oakland Twp., Rochester & Rochester Hills.

Lighthouse of Oakland County           
46156 Woodward Ave.    
Pontiac, MI  48343
Phone:  248-972-1493
Website: www.lighthouseoakland.org
Serves all of Oakland County.

Salvation Army Farmington Hills
Phone:  248-477-1153
Salvation Army Royal Oak
Phone:  248-585-5600
Website: http://centralusa.salvationarmy.org

Jewish Family Services
Orley Building
6555 W. Maple
West Bloomfield, MI  48322
Crown Pointe Office Complex
25900 Greenfield Road   Suite #405
Oak Park, MI  48237
Phone:  248-592-2313  OR 248-661-1836
Website: www.jfsdetroit.org

OLHSA  (Oakland Livingston Human Services Agency)
Central Office (Oakland County)
196 Cesar E. Chavez Avenue      
P.O. Box 430598
Pontiac, MI  48343-0598
Phone:  248-209-2600  OR 1-800-482-9250 (Toll Free)
Email: info@olhsa.org
South Office (Oakland County)
1956 Hilton Road
Ferndale, MI  48220-1719
Phone:  248-542-5860
Email: info@olhsa.org
OLHSA (Livingston County)
2300 E. Grand River   Suite 107
Howell, MI  48843-7574
Phone:  517-546-8500
Email: livingston@olhsa.org
Website: http://olhsa.org/complete-services#Education
Emergency Utility Assistance Program
Assistance for residents with a utility shut-off or notice of pending utility shut-off.

Open Door Outreach Center               
7170 Cooley Lake Road
Waterford, MI  48327
Phone: 248-360-2930
Email:  opendoor4328@sbcglobal.net
Website: www.opendooroutreachcenter.com
Crisis funding for residents of Waterford, White Lake, W. Bloomfield, Keego Harbor,
Sylvan Lake, Walled Lake and parts of Wixom.  Referrals from other agencies accepted.

Soldiers Relief Fund:  Pontiac
Phone:  248-858-0785
Soldiers Relief Fund:  Troy
Phone:  248-655-1250
Soldiers Relief Fund:  Walled Lake
Phone:  248-926-3368

CALL FOR HELP / Emergency Senior Cell Phone Program
Oakland County Sheriff's Office
1200 N. Telegraph Road  Bldg. 38E
Pontiac, MI
Phone: 248-975-9700
Website:  http://www.oakgov.com/Pages/home.aspx
Free cell phones that can contact help in an emergency are distributed
from 9 a.m. to noon every Friday.

Our Children's Fund                                   
C/O West Bloomfield School District
5810 Commerce Road
West Bloomfield, MI 48324
Funding requests have included necessities such as medical & dental expenses, eyeglasses,
school supplies & clothing, summer school classes & academic enrichment, gas, food, utility
bills as well as assistance at the holidays in December. For over a decade, OCF has been
a safety net for our children putting hope back into their lives as well as that of their families.
Only for the school children of this district!!

Jewish Family Services
Orley Building
6555 W. Maple
West Bloomfield, MI 48322
Crown Pointe Office Complex
25900 Greenfield Road Suite #405
Oak Park, MI 48237
Phone: 248-592-2313  OR  248-661-1836
Website: www.jfsdetroit.org

Active Faith Community Services        
401 S. Washington
PO Box 188
South Lyon,  MI  48178
Phone:  248-437-9790
Website: http://www.activefaithcs.org/1/230/index.asp
​Our mission is to provide long term and temporary assistance to those who have fallen
on difficult times in hopes of returning them to the independent pursuit of their life’s goals.
​South Lyon
•New Hudson
This 84 square mile area comes under 6 different municipalities.
You must live in the South Lyon School District.
1.  South Lyon City
2.  New Hudson
3.  Lyon Township
4.  Green Oak Township
5.  Salem Township
6.  Northfield Township


NOTE:  Check the instructions & agencies at the TOP of the page before calling these agencies!

ALSO:  See Active Faith Community Services directly above for those that live in the
              appropriate area!

e-Washtenaw Data Base
Provides referral and direct assistance to low-income county residents who need emergency
help with utility payments. The program, funded by grants from Washtenaw County and
the Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS), is a last resort for applicants who have
exhausted all other community resources.
Saline Area Social Service Inc.
131 E. Michigan Avenue
Saline, MI 48176
Phone: 734-429-4570
Website: Same as above
Utility assistance

Phone 2-1-1  Within county
Phone: 1-800-552-1183  Outside of the county

SOS Crisis Center
101 S. Huron Street
Ypsilanti,  MI  48197
Phone:  734-485-8730
Email: info@soscs.org
Website: www.soscs.org
Assistance with utility bills as funding allows.

The Salvation Army of Washtenaw County
The Salvation Army--Ann Arbor Corps.
100 Arbana Drive
Ann Arbor, MI  48103
Phone:  734-668-8353
The Salvation Army-Ypsilanti  Corps.
9 S. Park Street
P.O. Box 980426
Ypsilanti, MI  48198
Website: http://centralusa.salvationarmy.org
Often provides emergency funds for urgent needs.

Veterans Trust Fund
2155 Hogback Road
Ann Arbor, MI  48103
Phone:  517-335-6523
Website:  www.michigan.gov
County representatives have the ability to provide $1,500 in assistance and the State Board
has authority to award larger grants to families whose need cannot be met by a $1,500 grant.

Friends In Deed    
1196 Ecorse Road
Ypsilanti, MI  48198
Phone:  734-484-4357
Email:  office@friendsindeedmi.org
Website:  http://www.friendsindeedmi.org
Friends In Deed has provided utility assistance to residents of Washtenaw County for over
three decades. The need has only increased since we first started the program, especially
since Michigan’s Department of Human Services changed its policy in 2013: DHS now provides
utility assistance only during the crisis season, defined as November 1st to May 31st. Friends
In Deed works with other social service agencies in the community to prevent utility shut off.
Not only are families able to keep their water running, lights on and rooms warmed (or cooled
depending on the season), they are often able to qualify for a payment plan that allows them
to retain a bigger part of their budget for other necessities: food, medical care, clothing, etc.

Peace Neighborhood Center
1111 North Maple Road
Ann Arbor, MI  48103
Phone: 734-662-3564
Email:  info@peaceneighborhoodcenter.org
Website: www.peaceneighborhoodcenter.org
Case Management Services work one-on-one with famllies and individuals throughout
the community who find themselves in situations requiring help. Peace offers everything
from financial to emotional support, whether is it preventing a family's heat from being
shut off, advocating on their behalf with another agency, etc. 

Please also check
under the
webpage as well
for more programs
to save on your utilities!


Adult Dental


Adult FREE
Medical Tests, Services
& Treatments

Adult & Children's
"Special Wish"

AIDS & HIV Resources


Children  & Adolescent
Dental Resources (Including

Children & Adolescent
Medical &
Wellness Resources

Child Support

Chore Services
(OR Other In-Home
Help Services)

Clothing Distribution

Credit Counseling

Crime Victim
& Notification

Crisis Pregnancy
& Pregnancy
(Help For Keeping & Raising
Your Baby)

Disability Resources

Domestic Abuse
Sexual Violence

& Employment Training

Emergency Housing

Travel Resources

Financial Assistance

Food Programs/

Food Programs/
"Soup Kitchens"

Food Programs/
"Meals on Wheels"

Foster Youth

As Caregivers Resources

Grief Support

Help With Rent
& Mortgage


Home Furnishing


Housing Resources

Immigration Resources

Immunization Resources

Legal Resources



Low-Cost Car
& Car Repair Resources

Home Mortgage Assistance

Mental Health
Substance Abuse

Mentoring Programs
(for Youths)

Organ Donation

Parenting Resources


Prisoner & Parolee

Runaway Help

Senior Citizen

Services For
Personnel And
Their Families

Tax Services

Transportation Resources

(And Their

Vision & Hearing


Youth Programs
& Low-Cost
Summer Camps)

This page was last updated: July 16, 2018


Get the latest mobile phone reviews
and update from iphone  to Android
Phones. Compare your favorite phones and enjoy the exclusive news.