This page was last updated: July 23, 2017

This page is primarily concerning low-cost insurance sources BUT you'll notice that I also included below some other free programs that can help you as well!  Please also check under "Adult Medical Resourcesas well as "Children's Medical Resources" to find other free and low-cost medical care.  
For Dental Resources look under "Adult Dental Resources" as well as "Children & Adolescent Dental Resources".  For Vision & Hearing Care, look under "Vision & Hearing Resources". 

The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services has a website with a map of the states that 
can direct people to agencies, including state insurance departments and local non-profits, 
that can help people find health coverage, file appeals, and learn about other health-care issues. www.healthcare.gov/law/features/rights/consumer-assistance-program

Millions of low-income children are eligible for health care coverage under the State Children's 
Health Insurance Program bill.  Every state has a health insurance program for infants, children 
and teens in working families.  For little or no cost, this insurance pays for:  Doctor visits, medicines, hospitalizations, dental care, and many other services.  Kids who do not have health insurance are likely to be eligible, even if their parents are working.  The states have different eligibility rules.  

In most states, uninsured children 18 and younger are eligible if they're part of a family of four
that earns less than $44,100 a year.  In some states, the family's income can be even higher.  
To learn more, call 1-877-KIDS-NOW (543-7669) or visit www.insurekidsnow.gov


Rejected for health insurance due to pre-existing conditions?  Due to recent changes in 
health-care laws, pre-existing condition insurance plans are now offered in EVERY state
at an affordable rate.  To apply, go to www.PCIP.gov.  

Hill-Burton Free Medical Care Program
Health Resources and Services Administration
Dept. of Health & Human Services
Division of Facilities Compliance and Recovery
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10C-16
Rockville, MD  20857
Phone: 800-638-0742
Website:  www.hrsa.gov/hillburton/compliance-recovery.htm
All hospitals that accept federal grant money, MUST provide a certain amount of FREE medical 
care to those who cannot afford it.  If you feel you may qualify, please ask to speak to the hospital Social Worker.  Some hospitals may call their program by a different name OR may have separate
funds for these situations as well!  

United Health Care Grants
Websites:  www.uhccf.org
United Healthcare Children's Foundation (UHCCF) provides grants to families to help pay for
child health care services such as therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy sessions, prescriptions, and medical equipment such as wheelchairs, orthotics and eyeglasses.  Parents and legal guardians may apply for grants of up to $5,000 each for child medical services and equipment by completing an application at the UHCCF website.  If a grant is approved for the child, the grant will help pay for approved medical services & items after child's commercial
health benefit plan submits payment for services provided, if any.  The grant funds are not
paid to the parents or guardian directly--invoices/bills are submitted to UHCCF for approved medical services/items after the commercial health benefit plan submits payment (if any) to
the health care provider. To be eligible for a grant, children must be 16 years of age or younger. 

Chronic Disease Fund
6900 N. Dallas Parkway   Suite 200
Plano, TX  75024
Phone: 972-608-7141  OR  877-9687233
Email:  info@cdfund.org
Website:  http://cdfund.org 
An independent, non-profit charitable organization that helps underinsured patients with chronic disease, cancers or life-altering conditions obtain the expensive medications they need.  Assists patients throughout the U.S. who meet income qualification guidelines and have private insurance 
or a Medicare Part D plan but cannot afford the co-payments for their speciality therapeutics.  
They also pay for the patient's out-of-pocket costs directly to the provider, eliminating the cash 
flow problems that can prevent them from getting their medications.  Chronic Disease Fund supports patients with more than a dozen different diseases, including many types of cancer 
(breast, colorectal, lung cancer, and multiple myeloma), multiple sclerosis, asthma and macular degeneration to name a few.  Financial support is dependent on each years donations. 

Oakwood Teen Health Center  
19275 Northline Road
Southgate, MI  48195
Phone:  734-287-2076
Health Education programs, FREE medical care for youth ages 10-21 and Family Planning 
Program (including a full range of contraceptive choices, including abstinence and 
pregnancy testing). 


Insurance Assistance Program  (IAP) IAP-PLUS
Affiliated with HIV/AIDS Advocacy Services, the IAP pays health insurance premiums for PLWHA (People Living with HIV & AIDS) who have private health insurance and are currently too ill to work in their current job or there is a substantial likelihood that he or she will be too ill to work within the next three months.  IAP-Plus pays premiums for PLWHA who have private health insurance with prescription coverage.  
Contact:  John Bain for more info at 313-456-1677 OR  email: bainj@michigan.gov.

Phone:  855-789-5610
Website:  www.healthymichiganplan.org 
Available beginning April 1st, 2014, you must be a State of Michigan resident, ages 19-64, not pregnant, and not currently enrolled in other Medicaid or Medicare programs.  Income around 
$16,000 for a single person OR $33,000 for a family of four.  This plan offers comprehensive health care coverage for doctor visits, prescriptions, emergency services, dental, lab, pregnancy care, 
dental services, family planning, preventive care, hospitalization and Mental health and substance 
use disorder treatment services.  

Healthy Kids/Medicaid
Phone:  888-988-6300 
Website:  www.michigan.gov/dhs
For Michigan residents, a program for pregnant women, babies and children under 19.  
Covers women during pregnancy and the first two months after pregnancy ends.  
Babies may be eligible for up to one year after birth and children may be covered up 
to age 19.  Also includes transportation to doctor's visits. 
You get:
Health insurance at no cost to you.
Medical services, dental care and prescription drugs at no cost to you.
You need your Social Security number.   You don't need proof of income.
MI Child
For Michigan residents under 19 years old.
You get: 
Health insurance for $5 per month, for ALL family members under 19.
Medical services, dental care and prescription drugs at no cost to you.
You need your Social Security number and proof of income--such as a pay stub or W2.


Wayne County HEALTHCHOICE Program                  
640 Temple Ave.  Suite 370
Detroit  MI  48201
Phone:  1-800-WELL NOW
Health Choice offers health coverage through their BasiCare Program for only $45 per month.  
Their partnership with Golden Dental allows them to offer an optional dental rider through the DentalAssist Program for an additional $5 per month.   You must be a Wayne County resident, between the ages of 18-64, and you must not be enrolled in any other health plan.  Call the 
number above for an enrollment form.  
The BasiCare Health Program provides limited coverage for:
Physician Services
Labs and X-rays
Urgent Care
Some co-pays will apply to several of the BasiCare services. 
The DentalAssist Program provides the following limited coverage:
Office Visit ($4 co-payment)
Oral Exams
Adult Dental Cleanings
Film X-rays


Lenawee Health Plan 
Phone:  517-264-6300  OR  1-866-264-6300
Low income uninsured residents of Lenawee County may be eligible for a health care coverage program.  The following is a description of this program: 
Plan A 
Residents eligible for the Adult Benefits Waiver (ABW) program through the State of Michigan 
are enrolled in Lenawee Health Plan, Plan A.  This program is NOT insurance.  It provides basic medical care to low income childless adults who do not qualify for Medicaid.  Enrollment in 
Lenawee Health Plan, Plan A is done by the local Department of Human Services (DHS). 


Macomb Health Plan                            
Phone:  866-622-6620
Website: www.macombhealthplan.org
There are three health plans that are currently being offered. These plans are designed for Macomb County residents, as well as, Macomb County businesses. The Adult Benefit Waiver (ABW) program and Macomb Care Connect are health plans for individuals, while the Macomb Blue plan is specifically designed to service small businesses that do not currently offer health benefits to their employees. These plans are not services of the Macomb County government,
but are offered by Macomb Health Plan, a not-for-profit organization.


Monroe County Health Plan                
Phone:  866-291-8691
This is a comprehensive, community-based health plan for residents of Monroe County.  Contact 
your local Department of Human Services to find out if you are eligible or call number above. 


Oakland County Health Plan             
18 Market Street   Suite B
Mt. Clemens  MI  48043
Phone:  888-798-WELL (9355)
Website:  http://www.oaklandhealthplan.com/ohp_abw.php
Oakland County resident
• Ages 19-64
• Not disabled or eligible for Medicaid or any other medical programs
• Income less than 35 percent of federal poverty level (about $200-$250 per month)
(Eligibility determined by Michigan Department of Human Services)
No cost to the consumer!